Kaspersky free rollout

Reaction score
Kaspersky celebrates 20th birthday by releasing free antivirus it claims will boost the protection of all customers

Kaspersky Labs is celebrating its 20th anniversary by releasing a free version of its antivirus software that will expand the company’s market share and give it a larger user base from which to gather threat data from.

A number of other security vendors offer free AV software to users to boost their real time data collection capabilities, protecting both free and premium users from a wider variety of threats and mitigating ever more complex cyberattacks.

However Kaspersky argues the cost of premium antivirus and the inadequacy of some services, specifically mentioning Windows Defender, meant many systems have “holes” in their protection.

Kaspersky Free
The company says ‘Kaspersky Free’ will not compete with its premium offering, which includes parental controls, VPN access and other features, and will in fact strengthen it because of the additional threat data.

“[Kaspersky Free] is a version with all the bare essentials: file, email and web antivirus; automatic updates, self-defense; quarantine; and so on,” said CEO Eugene Kaspersky.

“This arsenal ensures convenient and safe web surfing (is it still surfing? Sounds a bit 90s to me), working with USB sticks and other portable storage media, and protection against both phishing and infected files being run. In short, the indispensable basics that no one on the planet should do without.

“Kaspersky Free is also lighter on system resources and quicker than its big brothers. It’s based on the same technologies as those older brothers, which you all know always come out on top in independent testing. This means that, though it features just the bare basics, it still packs a punch – a punch we’re no less proud of.

“The same protection without compromise: we detect any cyberthreat regardless of its origin or intention – even if certain folks don’t like it. At the same time Kaspersky Free doesn’t come cut with all the usual nonsense like advertising-oriented user-habit tracking and confidentiality infringements – which free AV normally suffers badly from in order to make it financially worthwhile to its manufacturers.”

Kaspersky said it had been working on ‘Kaspersky Free’ for more than a year and noted that without any marketing activities, the product had been downloaded several million times in the test markets of Russia, Ukraine, Belarus, China and the Nordic countries.

The global rollout will be staggered, starting in the USA, Canada and Asia, before arriving in Europe and the UK this October.

The company has had a spot of bother in the US recently, where it has been accused by the US government of having ties with the Kremlin – an allegation Kaspersky vehemently denies. Indeed, Eugene Kaspersky has offered to release its source code to the US government.

Reaction score
Thanks Defender01,

I tried it years ago (1 year free version from a computer magazine) and found it to be a hazard rather than a help, it took too much control for my liking and slowed my system down quite often. That said, it is now years later and maybe it has improved but I will still stick with Windows Defender which I find non-intrusive. :)

Defender Thanks for the information, I'll buy you a pint next time I visit the U.K.
Hi Norton,

the next time you are in Germany, I will wave to you from a pub window drinking a cool German "Helles Bier"!. LOL. :D:D:D

Reaction score
Same experience as Wolfie, I'm sorry to say.

If you browse for comments on Kaspersky, it does give time to ponder on the exaggerated dangers of using Russian software products - above all antivirus programs.

Reaction score
Hi Dave,

I find it amazing that Kaspersky is always the first AV company to find the big new bugs that appear out of nowhere!. o_O

T_J

Reaction score
I'm staying with products that have their corporate headquarters in California, USA: Symantec 2000-2012 and McAfee 2012-now. I know several posters hate these companies, but they worked for me. Missouri, USA. Every year I usually buy last years versions from Amazon for cheap, which update to current version during installation. I never do the auto-renew method, due to prices are expensive.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I used Kapersky just once, it was the only program that found and got rid of the Police ransomware that was prevalent several years back. I'll stick with Avira, it works for me, does its job and it gets a good reviews in the article Trouble posted above.

Reaction score
A great AV, but always plays havoc with email settings (namely certificates) and online video games.

Reaction score
Yes BigFeet!,

I helped someone fix a block on FireFox browser caused by Kapersky, it was stopping them from using a certain type of online browser software used by libaries (as in books and films), it isn't an intuitive app in my eyes!. o_O

Ask a Question