Kaspersky Slow

Reaction score
I had it on my computer for almost a year. Major complaint was slow everything. Recently I switched to webroot. Big difference and I am once again enjoying being on my computer. Kaspersky might be good for some but it wasn't for me and windows 10!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Kaspersky might be good
No doubt about it.
It's a very good product, generally well respected across the industry and always seems to perform well in comparison trials.
Much the same as Eset (Nod32), but.....
They can be a bit heavy handed on system resources, especially on machines that don't have a lot of horsepower to begin with.

Reaction score
Through my own sources, The full Kaspersky is available, free, for one year. I have installed it from time to time and have to agree with jbmw
Must admit, though, That , possibly, with high end computers and Internet connections, the delays would not be noticeable.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Glad you've found something that works well for you :).

I run Kaspersky Internet Security on some systems and quite like it - it's not as resource intensive as some AVs, but it does have a nice feature set and good detection pedigree. I have noticed the occasional minor slowdown, but only rarely. Having an SSD seems to help anti-virus apps run without much of a performance hit.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, I installed the Kaspersky Total Security 30-Day Trial to give it a test run.

The installation of the product was gruesomely tedious *lol*

In terms of performance: A Full System Scan took 37 minutes, about 9 minutes faster than Norton 360.

It's estimated time left feature is a total waste of time though: very poor performance there and misleading. As an example, the final < 1 minute actually took 15 minutes to complete *lol*

I've since removed the trial, but notice while most of its files uninstall fine, it leaves quite a footprint among Settings, all of which require a manual removal.

Example: When choosing which icons to appear on Taskbar

kasp.png

1. Both of these Kaspersky features remain despite uninstalling the product
  2. Both features were toggled on - I've turned them off for now given I intend to manually remove them after posting this thread.
  3. As ought to be obvious, there is no icon to display. Why? The icons successfully uninstalled, however the processes did not *lol*

Now given no Software Vendor has paid me to give an opinion (including Kaspersky) I am forced to give an overall performance score of 1% :rolleyes: I'm feeling extraordinarily generous today!

Addendum: I got lazy and decided to try Kaspersky's Removal Tool instead.
  • Interesting their official support page provides details on how to uninstall their product which completely contradicts another support article on their site that explains this method does not work. They recommend using their Removal tool instead.
  • The removal tool a lovely 13.7 MB download, contains multiple lines of possible items to choose to remove. For the average Joe blog out there, this is incredibly confusing and could lead them to believe they removed items, when in fact they did not, given there is no message to alert you that you chose the wrong item to uninstall.
  • Oh by the way: this tool does not remove the aforementioned footprint.
  • Overall Score now: 0%
    • Note to Software Vendors: I charge $100 per percentage point. Contact me if interested in upgrading your Performance Score :cool:
Back to manually removing it I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Last edited:

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
That's interesting to know - I wonder why there is a footprint left behind. Are those executables still in place and running in the background, or are they just ghost taskbar entries? If those processes are still running, even after the removal tool, that's really bad.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Are those executables still in place and running in the background, or are they just ghost taskbar entries?

Just Ghost's. Removing the IconSream and PastIconStream values from:
  • HKCU\Software\Classes\Local Settings\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\TrayNotify

resolves the aforementioned footprint.

Apart from that, removing around 50 registry entries manually which Kaspersky creates does the last bit of cleaning.

The removal tool works best if you exit the running processes hidden in your Taskbar.

You have to remove the Total Security first, then after rebooting machine, run the removal tool a second time to remove the Secure Connection.

Something else I discovered was its rootkit tool corrupts the Restore Points, and prevents you creating a new restore point. Even attempting to restore via the Recovery Console fails. The logs mention it was unable to locate X file from D: - which is odd given in my case D partition is a HP Recovery Partition.

To be fair though I also updated Creator today thanks to the KB release in last 24 hours, so that combined with Kaspersky may have corrupted the Restore points, rather than just Kaspersky.

Interestingly, running an in-place upgrade still did not remove Kaspersky and the aforementioned footprint.

Everything had to be done manually within the Registry Editor.

Regedit32

Reaction score
It would be a real shame if Politicians or self-proclaimed hacker-vists decided to target any Nation by intentionally corrupting a Vendors antivirus software. My earlier post about my experience with Kaspersky Free trial, was a little tongue in cheek re the Overall performance scoring.

It seems to me the Press world-wide simply are not happy to accept that US citizens voted and chose a President from a choice of two; neither of which appeared to have been optimal choices, but were the choices they had to choose from.

Personally I am appalled at the incredible bias the News media are displaying, and am beginning to question if they are even capable of reporting anything accurately anymore.

It seems to me like the Media will not be happy until they create tensions similar or worse than the Cuban Missile Crisis, as like then, such headlines sell news.

Sure it is plausible a Nation run by a somewhat dubious leader might target the US in such a way, but the source of the claims appears to be coming from the institutions who fabricated the WMD stories that led to the Iraqi War.

Fingers crossed we are not going to yet another war.

Ask a Question