KB3140741

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Update for Windows 10 Version 1511 for x64-based Systems (KB3140741)
This morning. Just says "update" no "cumulative" mentioned and I can't seem to find any official MS info so far as to what it actually addresses.

Reaction score
Trouble. I wondered also, when I saw it (it was tuesday, after all - lol). If you go to the Update and "view update history", you can also access the above link there. I) am sure you are aware of this, anyway. Click the light blue txt on the update and then more info. It will take you to the link.
I confess I was a little in the dark as to what this entailed. I had just completed a fresh install, from the new updated ISO, and, When I looked here:

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-gb/magazine/dn342871.aspx

I could see no reason why I had received the update. No third party software yet, only the very basic MS install.
I

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Just when I thought I was a pretty knowledgeable end user of Microsoft Products, I found my self wondering....
What the heck is a "Servicing Stack"?
All I could find was some vague information about
The servicing stack includes the files and resources that are required to service a Windows image. This includes the Package Manager executable, the required servicing libraries, and other resources.
This update makes stability improvements for Windows 10 Version 1511 servicing stack.”
Leaving me with the stark realization that I'm not as knowledgeable as I thought I was, and....
Wondering now, if that means....
The native System File Checker utility and the DISM utility now have sufficient files in place to work properly and reliably.
It seems to me with the Operating System in a constant state of flux that it has been a crap shoot whether or not you could reasonably rely on the results of these two utilities in the recent past.
sfc /scannow
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
:confused:

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
This is what it did

Summary
This update makes stability improvements for Windows 10 Version 1511 servicing stack.

If you are installing a servicing stack update package for the first time, the package for the x86 version is 5 MB and the package for the x64 version is 11 MB.

How to get this update

Method 1: Windows Update
This update will be downloaded and installed automatically.

Method 2: Microsoft Update Catalog
To get the stand-alone package for this update, go to the Microsoft Update Catalog website.
Prerequisites
There are no prerequisites for installing this update.
Restart information
You don't have to restart the computer after you apply this update.
Update replacement information
This update replaces a previously released update 3139907.

Mine went in via Method 1

Ask a Question