KB3140743 Failed to install

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I cannot seem to update my computer via KB3140743. I have tried doing this from Windows Update and the standalone installer. It appears that it is working but when I restart the computer it eventually says that the update failed to install and undoes whatever changes it has made. I am not sure where to look to get more information. The other update that came today did install (KB3139907).

I am running windows 10 Pro - 64-bit. If you want other system specs let me know. I never have had an issue with an update not installing since I upgraded.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

Reaction score
I cannot figure it out. I have not seen any posted solutions to this. I would certainly welcome anyone's input on possible solutions.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You might want to try clean booting your system as described here
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Use the steps for Windows 8 / 8.1 (same for Windows 10)
Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.

Try leaving it like that for a day or even two before reversing it. See if that has any impact on the problem.

Reaction score
I tried your suggestion but it did not allow the update to install. Any other thoughts?

Reaction score
I have the same problem, only W10 just hangs on reboot and I can't login at all. So I can't roll back the update or do anything... (I don't have a bootable USB, and it's a laptop without CD/DVD drive...)
Any ideas?

Reaction score
I hate signing up only to post a "Me too" but Me too! 10, 64-bit not the pro but the "free" "upgrade" from 8.1. Maybe it is the update and not Us ( after 4 restart / failures I searched and found this ).

Reaction score
After executing startup for more than 3 hours (blue screen with running dots in a circle...) W10 finally came up with various networking issues (basically not connected anywhere). So I rebooted the laptop again, and ... the same story repeats all over again. I'll let it run for another 3 hours to see if it'll come up again. This is really weird...

PS: If it comes alive, this time I won't reboot but try to uninstall this amazing update. Thank you M$...

Reaction score
I have a suspicion that W10 updates install more reliably if there is no 3rd party AV program on the machine. I only use MS Defender and MalwareBytes and never have a problem with updates.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Went in ok with McAfee Antivirus
Also when it goes in you will find it will hang at 6% for a while then 90% on download
Then will go to install and will hang a gain for a while
If you press anything or move your mouse cursor it will play up
If anyone interested this is what the latest update fixes

changelog KB3140743

• Improved reliability in numerous areas, including OS and Windows Update installation, start up, installing and configuring Windows for the first time, authentication, resuming from hibernation, shutdown, kernel, Start menu, storage, Windows Hello, display modes, Miracast, App Locker, Internet Explorer 11, Microsoft Edge browser, network connectivity and discovery, and File Explorer.
  • Improved performance in video thumbnail generation, Net Logon, Windows Store, and standby power consumption.
  • Improved support for devices including some wearables, displays, and printer scenarios.
  • Reset app default when a registry setting is deleted or corrupted and streamlined notification about the corruption.
  • Fixed an issue causing favorites to be lost after updates are installed.
  • Fixed several issues that individually could cause certain apps to fail to launch, update, or allow in-app purchases.
  • Improved quality of Cortana voices and translations of multiple languages of an Internet Explorer dialog box.
  • Improved support for apps, fonts, graphics and display, airplane mode, Group Policy, PowerShell MDM, Windows Journal, Microsoft Edge, printing, touch display, roaming credentials, Push-Button Reset, Windows UX, local and streaming video, audio quality, error reporting, USMT, and VHD creation.

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I cannot seem to update my computer via KB3140743. I have tried doing this from Windows Update and the standalone installer. It appears that it is working but when I restart the computer it eventually says that the update failed to install and undoes whatever changes it has made. I am not sure where to look to get more information. The other update that came today did install (KB3139907).

I am running windows 10 Pro - 64-bit. If you want other system specs let me know. I never have had an issue with an update not installing since I upgraded.

Thanks for any assistance you can provide.

When that update tried to install on my PC, it totally corrupted my computer. I was told by the computer guys at the shop where I finally ended up taking it, that the update was the problem. They said that it happens occasionally that an update (which is essentially 'one size fits all') does not actually work with 'all' computers. It cost me $120 to have it fixed.

Reaction score
When that update tried to install on my PC, it totally corrupted my computer. I was told by the computer guys at the shop where I finally ended up taking it, that the update was the problem. They said that it happens occasionally that an update (which is essentially 'one size fits all') does not actually work with 'all' computers. It cost me $120 to have it fixed.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Think that shop saw you coming you only had to go to Program and Features and click view updates and click uninstall and it then most likely would of fixed your problem.
Then once done Restart your computer and it would of gone back to what you had before

Reaction score
Ok folks. KB3140743 uninstalled and ... I got my PC back! Whoa! No doubt it caused the problem.
(KB3139907 cannot be uninstalled but as it turns out it's not causing any troubles, at the least in my case).

I'm pretty fed up with the recent development of the Windows Updates quality and reliability... Sucks Big Time! (Rumours are that MS have outsourced the entire WU action, and that several key people of the original WU team have left the ship...)

Reaction score
I tried disabling Norton but it did not help. I do not believe that to be the issue. My issue is the update not installing. It downloads fine but upon reboot it looks like it is making updates then it throws up a message that essentially says windows could not update, restoring system, do not turn off.

Perhaps it is the update. Maybe if I wait a bit there will be an updated patch. My computer works fine with out it but it bugs me when these things happen.

Things I have tried:
  • clean boot including disabling Norton
  • Dsim scanhealth/scanrestore
  • sfc /scannow
  • Using the standalone installer

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Things I have tried:
  • clean boot including disabling Norton
I have a suspicion that W10 updates install more reliably if there is no 3rd party AV program on the machine
IF the problem is actually a third party security suite..... and I'm not saying that it is
I think it might be important to note that in most instances, they cannot be disabled.
AND
In most instances even a conventional uninstall using the Programs and Features applet in the Control Panel will not completely remove all remnants. That is why all top tier third party security suites have their own, proprietary, vendor specific removal tool.
https://support.norton.com/sp/en/us/home/current/solutions/kb20080710133834EN_EndUserProfile_en_us
http://www.avg.com/us-en/utilities
https://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility
Are three examples, Google should provide links if you search your product with removal tool included in the search parameters.
AGAIN.... I'm not suggesting that a third party security suite is the problem.
Checking here http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...ntTypeScope=&x=14&y=11#/Windows/windows_10//1
Clearly there are other considerations. My personal install of both the updates yesterday seemed to have gone fine without any problems as I suspect, did many, many others but there is something going on for sure.
It surprised me to see an out of band update show up yesterday on the first Tuesday of the month, when I was expecting it to be made available on the 8th as is more typical on "Update Tuesday".

Reaction score
Think that shop saw you coming you only had to go to Program and Features and click view updates and click uninstall and it then most likely would of fixed your problem.
Then once done Restart your computer and it would of gone back to what you had before
Nope, I tried that. it didn't work. My PC was totally fried. I waited two weeks and tried everything. It just kept getting worse. Believe me, I did my homework and my research.

Reaction score
I have two machines at home with similar hardware configurations. Both running windows 10 Pro x64bit and guess what. One updated to KB3140743 in about 30seconds, while the other one hangs at 83% with the wheel spinning and refuses to accept the update. I left that machine for about two hours frozen at 83% and then rolled it back a restore point using my recovery disc and tried again having run the update troubleshooter and sfc /scannow which both came back blank. Will be blocking this patch for now until a fix is announced. Good luck everyone hope they sort this out soon.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Nope, I tried that. it didn't work. My PC was totally fried. I waited two weeks and tried everything
You do realize that you are participating in a thread discussion of an update that as far as I know, only became available yesterday (KB3140743)?

Ask a Question