SOLVED KB3173428

Reaction score
I saw the other post but my problem has an extra wrinkle, that is hardware. Upgraded from 8.1 pro on Monday night and all was good until Wed, when this update came with a firmware update for the Surface Pro 3. Shortly after, the OS started slowing and eventually bogging down to the point of becoming unusable. Couldn't open files, start menu, browsers with BT mouse, then touch pad and finally the win key. The only way I could shut down through the system was by task manager after signing out.
After a restart things were ok for a while (10-15 mins) then degradation started again.
My two main culprits are the KB in the title or the firmware update or combination of both. I'm unable to uninstall the KB and the firmware isn't listed to uninstall.
I've tried a refresh/repair install and a clean install and the problem recurs. I've reinstalled 8.1 and upgraded again, same thing. I've tried heading off these updates and I'm not quick enough for various reasons but mostly I think the updates are downloaded during the install process. Any thoughts on that?
And finally, I'm not seeing anything like this problem on any forum so far. Also the firmware is dated July 21-16 and MS hasn't listed it in their Surfpro3 forum links yet.
Thanks for any suggestions

Reaction score
Update:
Everything seems good now. After posting I rebooted and installed the updates again, restarted and began doing some customizing and general surfing for a couple hours without slow downs. A few shut downs, start ups and re-starts later all seemed well. I made a disc image with the 2 win.old folders then deleted them because they were taking almost 60 gigs and this morning made another image without that bloat.

W10 is great on the sp3 when running well. My battery life seems no worse than it was before which was pretty good, and that was a concern after researching my problems on various forums.

Fingers crossed!

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Glad to hear that you managed to work through it.
Thanks for the update info.
Much appreciated.

Ask a Question