KB4034674 Cumulative update?

Reaction score
Please be aware that this update (KB4034674) disables the numpad feature on my Merc ZBoard Keyboard. Rolling back update fixes the problem.

Reaction score
Please be aware that this update (KB4034674) disables the numpad feature on my Merc ZBoard Keyboard. Rolling back update fixes the problem.
Does it completely disable the Number pad or just the option to set it to the numbers?

I don't think this update changed anything on my system but I have seen the number pad not working until I select that option? Of course, I do not have that keyboard.

Reaction score
The number pad is completely disabled. The particular type of keyboard is a gaming keyboard and (for space) has merged the arrow keys, insert, delete, end, etc keys into the number pad. The keys still physically work as I can page up / down and delete, etc but the numbers do not function. The num pad light does toggle as it should.

Reaction score
OK, so selecting the num lock key does not allow the number keyboard. Have you checked for any driver updates for that keyboard?

Reaction score
I have updated all drivers. I have made sure that the "Mouse Buttons" are OFF from the ease of access panel in Settings. I know it's not a hardware issue as I see the same problem when plugged into a similar PC with this update installed. Uninstall the update, num keys come back. I have been in contact with Microsoft Support but they weren't able to do anything about it. I've asked them to open a ticket, as it were, to see if the issue can't be resolved by the next update. Fingers crossed I guess. If anyone else has any suggestions, it's appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
I'm very interested to hear if anyone else has a fix/workaround other than just uninstalling this update. My wife swears by her merc keyboard because she has incredibly tiny hands and has a hard time using a normal WASD setup to play computer games, and now that it doesn't work she's very upset. We've removed the update, but a) it keeps installing itself again and b) we don't actually want to deliberately skip a security update if we can help it.

Super interested if anyone has any solutions (even hacky ones).

Reaction score
So Microsoft Support offered a little help in that they recommended that I set Windows Update to "manual" in the meantime to keep the update from force installing. I am somewhat dubious as to whether this will keep updates from automatically installing but I have to admit it's kept the update from installing on my system so far.

Press the WINDOWS key and in the search box type "services.msc" and run that program. Near the bottom of the list you'll find "Windows Update". Right click on it and choose "Properties". Under "Startup Type", make sure it's set to "manual". Click "Apply" and "OK". Reboot.

Apparently this stops Windows from automatically updating. Your mileage may vary. Good Luck. :)

Reaction score
*Update* The above method does not work to stave off unwanted updates. As I figured, they go on uninterrupted. Oh well, it was worth a try. (Rolls back yet again)

Reaction score
I've had the same issue with my beloved ZBoard Merc! I have uninstalled KB4034674, and then used the 'Show or Hide Updates' troubleshooter mentioned in the middle of this Microsoft Support page. It found the update and allowed me to hide it, which seems to have stopped the updates being reinstalled. I'm still a little worried about skipping the update, though. Presumably there must be other important stuff in it?

Reaction score
Oh hell! I just installed Security Update (KB4038788) this morning and my Merc is not working again! I really don't want to keep skipping these updates, but equally I really don't want to stop using my Merc.

Reaction score
1) In your D:\Program Files\Ideazon\ZEngine copy the Kernel2k directory to preserve an original untampered version.
2) In the Kernel2K dir, rename every file that starts with Alpham or alpham to something else (ex. Alpham1.sys => Merc1.sys).
3) Open the renamed .inf file in a text editor (Notepad++, etc) and do a similar find and replace on "Alpham" replacing with "Merc" (or whatever you used), replace all.
4) Delete merc12.cat (the security catalog file)
5) Install Windows Driver Kit ( it's going to give you a number of warnings during install that you won't be able to develop drivers since you don't have an IDE installed. Just OK through them... you're not developing a driver)
6) Add the inf2cat.exe installation directory to your PATH variables (Type path in search and select "Edit environment variables for your account" then select Path in the top window and click edit. Click new then add the directory of your inf2cat.exe file. Mine was in D:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\x86. Hit enter, then OK all open windows.)
7) Generate a new .cat file (open a Command Prompt and type: inf2cat /driver:"path" /os:10_X64, 10_X86 where "path" is the directory of merc.inf. So, for me it was inf2cat /driver:"D:\Program Files\Ideazon\ZEngine\Kernel2k" /os:10_X64, 10_X86)
8) Disable Signed Driver Enforcement (step-by-step instructions)
9) In Device Manager locate the entries "Ideazon Merc MM USB Human Interface Device" and "Ideazon Merc USB Human Interface Device" (they could be under Keyboards or Human Interface Devices)
10) Right click > update driver > browse computer > Let me pick > Have Disk > Browse > manually select your newly renamed merc.inf. Acknowledge any unsigned driver warnings.
11) Enjoy a working zMerc again!

Ask a Question