SOLVED KB4088776 (OS Build 16299.309) won't install on restart

Reaction score
I've had this update sitting on my Dell Inspiron for a while and now it's appeared on my Surface too. The issue is it says to restart to finish which I've done countless times and nothing happens. It says it failed to install. The same thing is happening with my Surface. I tried to download and manually install it on the Dell and when I ran that it said it was already installed. How can I get rid of this? Thanks for any help anyone can give.

Reaction score
Even though the update was successfully installed, Windows Update incorrectly reports that the update failed to install. Select Check for Updates to confirm that there are no additional updates available.

You can also type About your PC in the search box on the taskbar to confirm that your device is using the expected OS build.

Microsoft is working on a resolution and will provide an update in an upcoming release.

Type winver in your search box and see if the update is actually installed

Reaction score
Thank you for that information. It is not current. i ran the troubleshooter and it recommended downloading Windows Update database. This is a little two in one and I don't have a lot of space left on the drive. Is this going to be some huge download? Do they mean they'll replace every update? I really don't have a clue what database they are talking about.

Reaction score
Well if your short on space that could be your whole problem.

I think it means to clear the folder that holds the current WU so that you can download it again thought to be that the one your using could be corrupted.
A lot of people are having this issue. Some have rebooted multi times and it would finally take.

Have you typed in Winver to your search box you probably will see that you actually have been updated to .309

Reaction score
Well if your short on space that could be your whole problem.

I think it means to clear the folder that holds the current WU so that you can download it again thought to be that the one your using could be corrupted.
A lot of people are having this issue. Some have rebooted multi times and it would finally take.

Have you typed in Winver to your search box you probably will see that you actually have been updated to .309

Thanks for replying.

I did run winver. My version is Version 1709 (OS build 16299.192).

On the link, for this update it says it is a known issue and Microsoft would fix it in a future update. I can't get future updates unless I install them manually because I have no Check for Updates button. I only have the update that won't install.

I will try the troubleshooter again and this time not skip over everything. I have no faith in Microsoft's fixes. I spent four hours getting this working again when it "fixed" a sound driver. Sorry to be editorial but I've been a Windows user for many years. I can believe that rebooting over and over works. It's the kind of weird thing that usually does work. I actually haven't tried that. Not many times in succession at one sitting anyway, I'll try that first.

Reaction score
Well, the worst case situation we have a major upgrade coming next month SCU once that is released you can download the ISO from MCT create a USB install media and use it to do an in-place upgrade saving your files. That should fix your windows. It won't help with drivers if your computer is not happy with the native windows drivers in that case you'll have to block driver updates and download the latest from the manufactures support website. I personally have driver updates block on all my computers that are on windows 10. I participate in the ROB forum that covers all my Motherboard and notebooks.
You originally mention your short of disk space that could be the problem you are experiencing you'll need some space for the WU to load and run in.

Reaction score
Well, the worst case situation we have a major upgrade coming next month SCU once that is released you can download the ISO from MCT create a USB install media and use it to do an in-place upgrade saving your files. That should fix your windows. It won't help with drivers if your computer is not happy with the native windows drivers in that case you'll have to block driver updates and download the latest from the manufactures support website. I personally have driver updates block on all my computers that are on windows 10. I participate in the ROB forum that covers all my Motherboard and notebooks.
You originally mention your short of disk space that could be the problem you are experiencing you'll need some space for the WU to load and run in.

Thanks for the help. I tried everything. Nothing worked. It may be that the drive is too short of space. I think your observation is probably correct. It's very small and I have a really large program on it that I don't want to uninstall. I suppose I will just have to wait until the new upgrade is released and download the ISO as you suggested. I did manage to get the driver issue solved. I hate this stuff. LOL. I know some people actually enjoy it but I am not one of them. Thanks again.

Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I tried everything. Nothing worked. It may be that the drive is too short of space. I think your observation is probably correct. It's very small and I have a really large program on it that I don't want to uninstall. I suppose I will just have to wait until the new upgrade is released and download the ISO as you suggested. I did manage to get the driver issue solved. I hate this stuff. LOL. I know some people actually enjoy it but I am not one of them. Thanks again.
Have you considered installing a larger hard drive/SSD 1 and 2 TB SSD will fit in the same space as 128GB or 256 GB if you have a USB port you should be able to change out your storage solution?

Reaction score
Well, i have been working on computers since the" Adam" back in the 80's. I don't mind trying to help people out. Windows 10 seems to be especially problematic. I guess it's all over security. But some is just MS management and how they are forcing everyone to install all these updates regardless if your computer is compatible. I'm sure some people just give up and buy new computers only to find out they are still going to have issues.
The best defense is backups, with back up Images of your OS Partition and or the entire hard drive or SSD. You can always get back to where you were before the issue started. It's also very handy to ensure that your data is never stored on your OS drive and back up offline somewhere also. Because in the end its losing data that is the worst most you can never recover it once lost.

Reaction score
Well, i have been working on computers since the" Adam" back in the 80's. I don't mind trying to help people out. Windows 10 seems to be especially problematic. I guess it's all over security. But some is just MS management and how they are forcing everyone to install all these updates regardless if your computer is compatible. I'm sure some people just give up and buy new computers only to find out they are still going to have issues.
The best defense is backups, with back up Images of your OS Partition and or the entire hard drive or SSD. You can always get back to where you were before the issue started. It's also very handy to ensure that your data is never stored on your OS drive and back up offline somewhere also. Because in the end its losing data that is the worst most you can never recover it once lost.

I never understood why Windows went to forced updates. Of course, I could have just kept the service turned off instead of allowing it. I have Windows 7 on a PC and I never install updates right away. I always wait at least a week. I think Microsoft's thinking was that some people don't install updates unless they're forced to. I know people are still complaining about this new forced updating. I do have a back up but it's pretty old. I didn't keep it up to date. What could happen, right? LOL.

Reaction score
I never understood why Windows went to forced updates. Of course, I could have just kept the service turned off instead of allowing it. I have Windows 7 on a PC and I never install updates right away. I always wait at least a week. I think Microsoft's thinking was that some people don't install updates unless they're forced to. I know people are still complaining about this new forced updating. I do have a back up but it's pretty old. I didn't keep it up to date. What could happen, right? LOL.

LOL yep what could happen, If you have the Pro version installed you can prevent driver update at all. You can delay download and Install See a picture of my settings
Advanced update options.png

I'm not sure ifs home version has these setting or not all my units are running the Pro version.

And yes I do daily backups of my OS partitions actually at noon and again at Midnight on different external hard drives. I'm paranoid and like the Idea that I can recover from anything in just a few minutes. or Days should I have to replace a SSD.
So far since 2012 when I was first introduced to SSD's I have never had one fail I have some 256GB SSD's the original ones from back then running in RAID mode for program files. I had upgraded to 500GB SSD for My OS drives. So I think brand name SSD are very reliable by brand name I mean Samsung or Intel in my experience

Reaction score
LOL yep what could happen, If you have the Pro version installed you can prevent driver update at all. You can delay download and Install See a picture of my settingsView attachment 8249
I'm not sure ifs home version has these setting or not all my units are running the Pro version.

And yes I do daily backups of my OS partitions actually at noon and again at Midnight on different external hard drives. I'm paranoid and like the Idea that I can recover from anything in just a few minutes. or Days should I have to replace a SSD.
So far since 2012 when I was first introduced to SSD's I have never had one fail I have some 256GB SSD's the original ones from back then running in RAID mode for program files. I had upgraded to 500GB SSD for My OS drives. So I think brand name SSD are very reliable by brand name I mean Samsung or Intel in my experience

I don't have the Pro version and you can't stop Windows from downloading and installing updates unless you stop it in Services. And Windows turns that back on every time you turn the device on and off. Something did change however from all the "fix-its" I ran. Now it's stuck on the installation instead of the restart. And this is very strange. When the desktop first opens I see three command windows flash on the screen. Split second fast. I can't see what they say. I'm a glass half full kind of person so I'm counting it as progress. Seriously, I am going to get another drive. And reinstall from the back up I do have and just sit through six hours of updates. If I ever have a few free hours I might call Microsoft support. You've been very helpful.

Reaction score
well, one its worth the extra $100 for the pro update you get it through the Windows store.
If your buying a larger hard drive/SSD I highly recommend you drop in an SSD Samsung or Intel If Iknow what formate hard drive you have now I can make recommendations. Such as if your hard drive is normal notebook hard drive its 2.5" format so Samsung 850 or 860 Pro or Evo will work and you can get up to 2 TB Although 500GB are optimal 1tb is very handy if you really keep a lot of data on your Main OS drive

Driver updates can be prevented with registry edits. gpedit is just an easy interface to make these changes in the registry

If you main problem is actually too small of a hard drive Lack of space to the updates then I would create another image with MR just before you install the new SSD and restore it, the lack of space will be solved and you may not have to go through much more than about 20 minutes to restore that image on your new hard drive/SSD. I would seriously try this first

Reaction score
well, one its worth the extra $100 for the pro update you get it through the Windows store.
If your buying a larger hard drive/SSD I highly recommend you drop in an SSD Samsung or Intel If Iknow what formate hard drive you have now I can make recommendations. Such as if your hard drive is normal notebook hard drive its 2.5" format so Samsung 850 or 860 Pro or Evo will work and you can get up to 2 TB Although 500GB are optimal 1tb is very handy if you really keep a lot of data on your Main OS drive

Driver updates can be prevented with registry edits. gpedit is just an easy interface to make these changes in the registry

If you main problem is actually too small of a hard drive Lack of space to the updates then I would create another image with MR just before you install the new SSD and restore it, the lack of space will be solved and you may not have to go through much more than about 20 minutes to restore that image on your new hard drive/SSD. I would seriously try this first

It's a HDD not an SSD. I am planning on replacing it per your advice. It's too small. I need more memory too. Come to think of it, I could defrag this one in the meantime. It couldn't hurt after everything that's been added and uninstalled. I do keep all my files on an USB drive not on the C drive. Thanks, again Clint.

Reaction score
It's a HDD not an SSD. I am planning on replacing it per your advice. It's too small. I need more memory too. Come to think of it, I could defrag this one in the meantime. It couldn't hurt after everything that's been added and uninstalled. I do keep all my files on an USB drive not on the C drive. Thanks, again Clint.

You'll be amazed by what a difference an SSD will make. There really the first really noticeable difference since the Pentium. Even the 2.5 SATA SSD BenchMark at 500mbs + Read and Write. You will really see and feel the difference boot times happen in 15 20 seconds

Reaction score
Seriously, I am going to get another drive. And reinstall from the back up I do have and just sit through six hours of updates. If I ever have a few free hours I might call Microsoft support. You've been very helpful.[/QUOTE]

If you restore an older Image, what you'll want to do is download the latest WU and manually install it. These updates are cumulative you don't have to download each one you can skip ahead
Another thought soon we are going to have a major upgrade WU When that is released the Media Creation Tool will include that update. By using the MCT you can create an install USB. Then from within windows run an in-place upgrade be sure to install saving your files and settings also bypassing all the previous updates and upgrades

Reaction score
Seriously, I am going to get another drive. And reinstall from the back up I do have and just sit through six hours of updates. If I ever have a few free hours I might call Microsoft support. You've been very helpful.

If you restore an older Image, what you'll want to do is download the latest WU and manually install it. These updates are cumulative you don't have to download each one you can skip ahead
Another thought soon we are going to have a major upgrade WU When that is released the Media Creation Tool will include that update. By using the MCT you can create an install USB. Then from within windows run an in-place upgrade be sure to install saving your files and settings also bypassing all the previous updates and upgrades[/QUOTE]

Thanks. I'm going to mark this as solved. I don't know what happened to the other guy who posted here.

Ask a Question