SOLVED KB890830 issue

Reaction score
I have just had update KB890830 inflicted on me. Now, when I boot up my machine a flashing icon appears in the Task Bar. This icon does not respond to any inputs from a mouse or anything else - neither does anything else. The only thing I can do is open Task Manager, where the only thing running is "CUI administrative...'. Click on 'More details' and lo and behold a pop-up box from the Microsoft virus checker appears asking for permission to run the program. Click 'No' and hey presto everything works again - until the next reboot. (I haven't dared click 'Yes'). How do I get rid of this?

Reaction score
Windows Defender runs all the time. Is there some reason you do not want it scanning your system?

The icon is in the Hidden Icons on the Taskbar, as you seem to know. On days were you will leave the system alone for some period of time you can start the scan and it will complete while you are gone. There may be a way to set it to can on off hours... you might check.

Reaction score
Windows Defender runs all the time. Is there some reason you do not want it scanning your system?

The icon is in the Hidden Icons on the Taskbar, as you seem to know. On days were you will leave the system alone for some period of time you can start the scan and it will complete while you are gone. There may be a way to set it to can on off hours... you might check.
The icon is not in fact in the Hidden Icons bit of the Taskbar, but in the main bit. I guess I could try letting it run the scan and see if that clears the problem. i would hope, however, that it is not actually supposed to freeze the whole system until somebody works out that you need to use Task Manager to get it started! Something ain't right.

Ask a Question