Keep files private for guests on PC

Reaction score
Hello, This may be a simple question for everyone but this old guy. I'm having house guests for a few days and want them to be able to access the internet on my computer but I want all the files and programs on my computer off limits and password protected. Is their a way to do that? Thank You

Reaction score
Are you using a router to the internet or a direct solo connection?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
want them to be able to access the internet on my computer
IF they'll be using your computer, just create a new user (standard not administrator) local account, call it Visitors and let them use that one.
They'll still be able to use most of the programs but your files will be safe and inaccessible by them.
Assuming of course that your account uses a password

Reaction score
OK. A router makes it even easier. - A couple of items in the advanced sharing.
Settings - Network and internet.
Select the wireless on the left.
Change advanced sharing options (in the middle text)
Go down through the options, both private and public, and make sure "File and Printer sharing", and "network discovery" are turned OFF
If you have a password on your router, your guests will either need to know it, or you can put it in for them when they try to connect.
They will have no sight or acces to your computer, only to the internet connection.

Reaction score
I had family visiting from the UK. All I did was create a temp guest account for their use. When they left, I just deleted the account.

Reaction score
Create a new non-admin account and they won't be able to install anything. When you create the account their favorites and shortcuts won't be seen. They could run the applications if they go to Windows explorer. You could also hide the folders with the files you don't want them to see. Or you could tell them to use their phones or any other devices.

Ask a Question