SOLVED Keeping snippingtool snip ready.

Reaction score
I miss the one-click snippingtool of Win7. In my attempt to reproduce that readiness-to-snip in Win10, I let a batch file launch snippingtool at Windows boot, so that when I want to use it, I just click on NEW in the open snippingtool. That works brilliantly ONCE, because, once used, the snippingtool window closes. So now I am on the hunt for a technique that will either KEEP snippingtool open, or automatically relaunch it after use.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I just keep it pinned to the taskbar. That seems "ready" enough to satisfy most needs.

Reaction score
I am not sure either what you mean by one click snipping tool. I also keep it on the taskbar and if I need it later I just leave it open.

The only difference between the Win 7 and Win 10 snipping tool is the extra settings such as the Delay option. Using that option you can open something and catch it open where in Win 7 it would close as soon as you selected something else.

Also keep in mind you can use keyboard shortcuts to capture the entire screen or just the active window. that puts the image the same place as the snipping tool does and can be pasted into Paint.

Reaction score
My aim is to reproduce my experience of Win7-snippingtool where, once its shortcut had been clicked, the next requirement was to select the area to be snipped. That is what I mean by 'one-click' snippingtool. In Win10, after clicking on the snippingtool shortcut, the snippingtool window opens and then you must click again on NEW before you can select the snipping area. That means two clicks before it is snip-ready.

If I run a batchfile at startup to launch snippingtool, then it is there open and waiting for NEW to be clicked when required; so that takes only ONE click, just like in Win7. However, since USING snippingtool also closes snippingtool, after that first use, I am back in the Win10 situation of having to click to launch snippintool, and then click to select NEW, before it is snip ready again - I am back to having to click TWICE before it is snip-ready.

Keyboard shortcuts to my mind simply shift the tasks from the mouse to the keyboard - I don't want to change the type of action, but reduce the number of actions.

'if I need it later I just leave it open.' Thar is the crux of the matter IN MY CASE - I can NOT leave it open - it closes after use. My Win10Pro is ver 1151 - maybe your Win10 is different with a different snippingtool behaviour.

Lastly, it seems to me if I run win7's snippingtool in win10, but in compatibility mode, that should restore the behavior to that in win7, but FOR ME that tool can not run in Win10.

Reaction score
I have mine also pinned to the taskbar. There is no way that I would like it permanently open on my desktop.

I also like the "New" feature. I do not always want a rectangle and, from time to time, need to use the delay time, which requires that I can see the menu bar of the snipping tool window.

Reaction score
So our needs differ. I have never wanted any shape but rectangular, and I have never needed a delay. I also don't want it permanently open on my desktop, but would prefer that, to having to re-open it all the time - at those times when I expect to use it repeatedly.

Reaction score
You are familiar with the Alt Prntscrn option? Might work for you.
Alternatively, there are several alternatives on the web

Reaction score
I don't know whether there is something wrong with my system, but I have have not been able to realise the different effects that are promised from printscreen with SHIFT, or with CTRL or with WIN. I have not yet given up hope that some or other tweak will restore Snippingtool as it was in Win7 - which suited me admirably.

I have looked at various other option that I found on the web - none give me the one-click functionality that Win7's snippingtool gave.

Reaction score
My suggestion was Alt PrntScn
On some Keyboards, you may find it necessary to also press an Extra key (Fn) in order to activate the PrntScrn key, which could be in the Fn row

Reaction score
I think that is typically laptop keyboards that require Fn to be held down as well.

I accidentally omitted ALT-Prntscrn from the combinations I listed above. I have tested them all - and they all just give me a standard prinscreen - or at best limit it to just the primary monitor.

Reaction score
imho. Seems to me that you have a bigger problem than merely the one-off use of the snipping tool

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
See if the more robust tool from Microsoft "Snip" is more to your liking.

Capture.PNG

https://mix.office.com/en-us/snip?previewvrg

Might be something that will work for you.

Reaction score
A thread in a similarly named forum, 'Ten Forums', has provided me with the PERFECT solution to my predicament.
A free 3rd party program called Greenshot, that exceeds all my expectations - even BETTER for MY purposes than Win7's snippingtool.

However, though I am totally satisfied with Greenshot, I WILL investigate Snip v0.1.51190 - thank you very much.

Reaction score
That M$Snip is quite functional, but a bit obtrusive. It is not BETTER than Greenshot, so the latter remains my preferred option.

Ask a Question