Keeps saying "incorrect password"

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed Win10 and I was able to use my computer normally. Ran CCCleaner. Now, after entering the same password I've used for years, the screen keeps saying it is incorrect. I changed passwords and retried with no luck. So my computer is useless as I can't get to my desktop to make any security changes or uninstall Win10.

Any ideas on how to get a restore disk to reinstall (would this even work?) Any other ideas to resolve this ? I'd like my desktop computer back !

Thanks.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Ran CCCleaner.
That probably wasn't a good idea.
That may have deleted your Windows.OLD folder which would make reverting back a problem.
It may have also deleted you Windows 10 download files which might make repairing a problem.

Do you have a system image that you created prior to the install?
Do you have the installation files on bootable media, you might try a repair by booting from that?

Reaction score
Same thing happened to me too just now,
at first i was unable to create a local account since it was saying your password was incorrect i tried numerous times but no use then i finally restarted my PC and encountered the same issue as you which is unable to logic as it was saying the password was incorrect so this is what is did to fix it
1. remain on the login screen
2. go to your microsoft hotmail account and login, then change your password from there(u may use some other computer or from your mobile, i use mobile since it uses authentication app which is easy to use)
3. i entered the new password on the login screen and woila it worked!! and i was also able to create a new Local account

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Interesting.
We've seen several of these same issues across this and other forums.
Do you think that the key to your particular success was step #1?
1. remain on the login screen
While using another device to login to your MS Account and change the password and then going back to that screen and using the new (changed) password?

Reaction score
Interesting.
We've seen several of these same issues across this and other forums.
Do you think that the key to your particular success was step #1?

While using another device to login to your MS Account and change the password and then going back to that screen and using the new (changed) password?
exactly, u should remain on the login screen, use your mobile to change the password then type the new password on the login screen and it should work as it did for me!

Reaction score
Had the same problem with my HP Envy TS 15 notebook (W7X64 Inteli7-4700mq 2.4ghz) laptop, after the update to W10 it did not recognize the password.
I reboot the laptop X2 and finally work with the same old password used before the update.
Scary for the first 10 minutes...

Reaction score
I have the same problem. The first attempt to log on, my password is not recognized. After I RESTART MY PC, my password is recognized. This has been my procedure for several days.

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed Win10 and I was able to use my computer normally. Ran CCCleaner. Now, after entering the same password I've used for years, the screen keeps saying it is incorrect. I changed passwords and retried with no luck. So my computer is useless as I can't get to my desktop to make any security changes or uninstall Win10.

Any ideas on how to get a restore disk to reinstall (would this even work?) Any other ideas to resolve this ? I'd like my desktop computer back !

Thanks.

Solved by pure dumb luck? - When I upgraded from Win 7 to Win 10 I had the same "Incorrect Password" whinge. But I noticed a text label towards the bottom left of the screen sayin "ENG". Hovering over it, revealed it to be a clickable button, which in turn revealed that the upgrade process had defaulted the keyboard to American English. For those of us who use strong passwords, some symbols are mapped to different keys, hence our US-centric cousins have laid a little land mine for us Brits. So try one of these options:
- Click on the ENG and set the language to British English
- or enter your password as per the US layout.

Hope this helps.

Reaction score
There is one thing that is really getting me upset, why doesn't' a technician come on this forum and sort this problem out. Once you have lost Admin rights there seems there is nothing you can do to restore your computer. Forget about discs etc if they have not been supplied from the start as most uploads of Windows 10 have not. Then where do you get them from tried to get some from Dell no luck have to have Admin rights to get access to them via the computer.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Then where do you get them from
The "Disc", would likely be the Windows 10 installation media, which can be obtained from either of these two resources.
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
OR
http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/windows10

Once you have the ISO you can use ImgBurn to burn it to a DVD or Rufus to burn it to a USB ThumbDrive, from which you can boot your computer.

I am not an expert but I've used the technique in this article to enable the hidden Administrator's account offline from the command prompt, booting from the installation media.
http://www.howtogeek.com/75470/how-to-enable-the-hidden-windows-7-admin-account-using-the-registry/
The article is based on Windows 7 but will work the same on Windows 10 the only caveat being when you load the HIVE
%windir%\system32\config\SAM
You will likely need to use C:\%windir%\system32\config\SAM
because it will auto default to X:\ which is your DVD and you'll get a "being used" error.

Hopefully this will allow you access to your computer and by logging in with the hidden "Administrator's" account you should be able to make password changes as necessary to problem accounts or at a minimum, create a new account, that you can use to retrieve your files into. Make sure it is created as a member of the local administrator's group and not a standard user.

I know it works, because I just did it on my Windows 10 machine in a test run.
Just read the article carefully, so as not to make things worse.

Reaction score
I will give that my best shot but will take me time. tks..

Update was unable to download to my laptop needed Admin again so have started download to old xp computer says it will take about 7 hrs. The same problem with Rufus refused without Admin pass.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It does take some time, especially for those who do not have a copy of the ISO / installation media in hand already.
The process itself, doesn't take too long, just go slow and follow each step, including unloading your TEST Hive at the end.

Reaction score
I have the same problem, but the user it wont let me log on as is the administrator. I have read it is a default user hidden folder that causes the problem when upgrading from windows 8.1, I also then cancelled my old administrator account and set up the new outlookaccount as the administrator. This account will not allow access, although there is a local account which lets me at least look at stuff. Others mentioned using a disk resue but mine like many does not have an optical disk drive.. I am screwed, windows 10 did not take long to have major issues.

Without administrator access to your own laptop its pretty much useless.

Reaction score
Trouble
I do have a Q on the page for the download why is it necessary to download the 32 as well as the 64 bit files. Only the 64 bit is downloading the 32 bit decided to stop.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Trouble
I do have a Q on the page for the download why is it necessary to download the 32 as well as the 64 bit files. Only the 64 bit is downloading the 32 bit decided to stop.
No idea, what "a Q on the page" means or where or why you are seeing it.
AND
It is not necessary to download both 32 and 64 bit. You want the version and architecture that you are attempting to repair / rescue.

Reaction score
Trouble

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/software-download/techbench
Half way down the page it states the following.
Windows 10 ISO Downloads
Make sure to download both 32-bit and 64-bit images and the languages you'll need for your retail location.

That was my Question about the page.
Last nights download was a waste of time as under my sons area in win 10 it did not save the file as we turned the computer off to see if after changing the password on Microsoft account to see if it worked , it did not, but cannot understand why the download did not save. So starting all over again.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
have you performed a search for
*.iso
To see if it is anywhere on the computer?

Ask a Question