keyboard quit working

Reaction score
I have an HP Notebook computer with Windows 10, and my keyboard quit working. Completely. Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
Plug in an external keyboard. If it works, you know your notebook keyboard is likely bad. If it does not work either, then clearly something else is wrong.

Notebook keyboards do go bad but it could be something as simple as a loose connection. Simple to fix, though often a challenge to get to the connector.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
As a possible secondary test you might want to try and see if your keyboard works at POST.
Hold the Escape key on your keyboard while your computer powers on.
ON most HP computers this should produce a boot option screen allowing you to enter the System Setup Utility (BIOS) or boot menu or run some HP diagnostic utilities.
IF you can use your keyboard to navigate through the BIOS or through the various diagnostic routines, then that might suggest that for some reason Windows or something has installed a problem keyboard driver.

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies. I tried everything that was suggested and finally gave up, went to Best Buy, and bought a new one.

Ask a Question