Keystroke lockup

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

Has anyone ever experienced this frustrating situation in Windows 10? If so, is there a way to overcome it? Any suggestions would be gratefully received as we currently cant use our computer.

I think I actually first encounter this situation some years ago In earlier Windows based document programs - such as Word and Outlook. Happening to me on the odd occasion when I pressed the shift-key for an extended period of time. A trait in my writing style I guess, where I would pause for far too long whilst initiating a capital letter. As a result, an audible bleep would herald the "lockup", curser would freeze, as would the keyboard. The only way to unlock was to close the program using Task Manager (invariably loosing part or all of the work) and shutting down the device. Then, once restarted, everything would return back to normal.

So I am sure these were the circumstances that occurred this week whilst composing a letter in Word using our recently installed Windows-10 version on our desktop. Once again I pressed the Shift-key for far too long triggering same "lockout" sequence of events that led to me shutting down computer. However, unlike past Windows versions, this time when I restarted - and even though the keyboard functions normally in certain applications - such as when entering password during startup process, the keystroke-lockout condition has remained. Rendering programs that require keystrokes, unusable.

Thanks,

Christo

Reaction score
Hi Christo I used MS Word every day for writing work related Job Procedures and (Job safety Analysis) JSA's.
I used to experience the same thing. Holding down the shift key for a set time enters into the sticky key feature.To resolve the issue you will have to go into the control panel>Ease of Acess>Make the Key Board Easier to use and change the settings to your liking in Sticky Keys" and "Set up Filter Keys" It sounds to me you have the keyboard shortcut set for when the shift key is set greater than the default time. Try unchecking the feature.
Please keep us posted of your results.
Thanks!

Ask a Question