Lack of native Windows apps

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Since Windows (desktop) introduced the app store, I expected that it would take off really well. After all, the app stores on Android and Apple phones are so well used, that I expected many people would clamour for a Windows version.

Even though it has been active for a long time now, I can still only find a handful of applications that I would regularly use in the store. There are a handful of big-name apps like Facebook, Fitbit, etc.... and then a few popular free applications like VLC, but not much else. I genuinely would have thought that the desktop app market is ripe for exploitation.

As an example, if I were a novice computer user with a Windows tablet, I would have expected to find things like Chrome on the app store.

Do you use many apps from the Windows store?

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
I dont use ANY apps from Windows store (except calculator) and will never use any.

Reason being is the apps offered there are weak in features I need, and most of all they charge an arm and a leg for the most simplest thing which Microsoft charges a healthy percentage just for the benefit of using the store. Based on https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/jennifer/2013/04/25/comparison-of-windows-store-vs-google-play/
Also no trials on pay (for most) software via windows store. What? So fork money to try and see if it suits your needs? Nonsense.

And many programs that are opensource and free "as in free speech and Free beer" elsewhere are also offered at a premium via MS Store.
I believe that developers should be compensated for their time, and we can freely offer donations via Paypal (they take low low percentage for opensource, more for retail), this is a flexible fairer model that I fully support and endorse for opensource, and even use myself.

Also more mature software that offer a decent set of features and have dedicated guaranteed support that I use and have paid or donate to, are mostly single developers that do in spare time or as a part time job, and rewriting such complex and mature programs would take YEARS to accomplish just to achieve, because often they are programmed in other languages as well. Anyway man hours alone is the point, is not something most of these software want to deal with.

So I would rather keep buying or sourcing my software elsewhere, knowing Microsoft profits none and that any money I spend is directly used by developer.

Having said that, universal apps are a good idea, but single developers again... lol. nope.

Lastly doesn't surprise me at all and sooner new developers stop falling for this kind of profit mongering from companies like MS the better for Software in general.

Last edited:

Regedit32

Reaction score
I just use the Universal apps personally.

I had a Nokia Lumia 710 with Windows 7.8 on it, but the lack of apps made me switch to Android as the one useful app for me here in NZ was the Snapper app used to pay fares on bus rides, etcetera.

Having switched to Android I discovered heaps of apps, but soon realized its mostly hype and really most of the apps are trivial for what they offer.

It seems to me if you are not into Social Media platforms like Twitter, Facebook, Etc., [ which I am not ] then you can quickly filter apps down to a far smaller list.

I did find one you could use to play music of an era you prefer, and that was OK, but NZ passed copyright laws here and as I was not certain the app streaming music from various internet radio broadcasts, filtered to the era you like, was legal I stopped using it, as the punishment for breaking this new law here is to be black listed from all ISPs in NZ and potentially pay some serious $$$ to whomever is suing for infringements.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Im not religious but Amen to that. :D

LoL

I used to be religious but certain experiences [ nothing I wish to explain here ] made me realize humans suck at running organized religion.

So now I prefer to simply believe there may be a God until proven otherwise. Although, to be perfectly honest, I'm not exactly high on faith just now. But then it would also be fair to note, personal experiences forumulated my understanding of what and how it is one is to serve God, and given my opening comment, it would be fair to say past experiences perhaps ruined any chance of me forming an unbias belief system, or thought pattern on this topic.

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
Aye, and the most vile reason not to use Windows store.

Some programs that are opensource and free "as in free beer" are sold by third parties after they make a small modification to source code (sometimes none) or add some minimum wrapper and proceed to make money from it, and while selling opensource software maybe legal despite if you are author or not, my view is also simple, morality as no place in law, and I find this immoral practice some people are happy to do.

OK this isn't exclusive to Windows store, but I see its also done, so, no.

I used to be religious but certain experiences [ nothing I wish to explain here ] made me realize humans suck at running organized religion.

lol lol slow clap.

...organised anything. :D

Ask a Question