SOLVED Laptop keyboard producing random results when saving files

Reaction score

When I try to save any file my keyboard gives random outputs when naming the file. I have to use sticky notes to create the file name then cut and paste it into the save window. Here are some examples of the results of pressing each key 8 times. It only does this when saving a file. Everywhere else the keyboard functions normally.

q: vt8vt6p5
Q: K^LIPBOT
w: ey3nytoi
W: MP!GKAK(
e: pz1qm79a
E: (TYPNR)F
r: wwo1je07
R: TXNW&AXK
t: yxtb10cg
T: IO@%^CMN
y: whqsbv2u
Y: OZXXQKQ)
space: avusxla1
shift/space: (HODXTUW
3: t60bjfq8
shift/3: RI$H&W!V
6: opfa4dun
shift/6: SEP$HDCE
9: xx6a2kmi
shift/9: F$XQXDVE
-: a0q96gwi
shift/_: @SGR@YK*
=: u1s9rn7j
shift/+: ZSIL!X*E

Reaction score
It might help knowing exactly what Make, Model Name and Model Number the machine is. It is possible but sometimes difficult to replace the keyboard but then one can usually plug in a USB Wired keyboard or even a USB Wireless keyboard to see if the results can be duplicated, will help in diagnosing whether the build-in keyboard is bad or the motherboard is bad.

Reaction score
LENOVO YOGA 72015IKB
WINDOWS 10 HOME
VERSION 10.0.18362 BUILD 18362

The problem only exists when performing a Save as PDF while using Google Chrome. When I try to name the file the keyboard produces a different character each time I press a key. Filling out forms on line, typing a URL or any other need for the keyboard results in normal character output.

I've run virus & malware scans but nothing was found. Uninstalling then reinstalling Google had no effect. I did another uninstall using IOBIT Uninstaller thinking some files were left behind by the Control Panels Uninstaller. That didn't cure it either. When I Save as PDF with MS Edge and the keyboard output is correct.

Reaction score
Grasping at straws but since it appears to be only one program doing it could there be a language conflict with Google Chrome/Google Docs?

On the version of Win10 the Build number [an update] includes a decimal and up to 3 or more numbers, currently at Version 1903 (OS Build 18362.175). That number shows when pressing the Windows key and R at the same time and typing winver which can also be a confirming diagnostic about whether getting the correct letters in something more basic than Chrome.

Reaction score
I am getting the same result from every browser I use except MS Edge. Firefox, Chrome, and the new Edge all produce the random characters when doing "Print to PDF". This started after the upgrade to 1903. I have now done a new install where I completely erased the drive and did a fresh install of 1903 but the issue continues. When I was on 1809 version I never had this problem.

Current Laptop: ASUS ROG Strix Scar II Gaming Laptop, 17" 144Hz IPS-Type Full HD, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 6GB, Intel Core i7-8750H, 16GB DDR4 RAM, 512GB PCIe SSD, RGB

Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1903
Installed on: 6/15/2019
OS Build: 18362.175

I'm hoping once I get Adobe Acrobat install that their dialog box will not have this issue. Here are some examples of what is happening:

typing nothing but 'S': e64saris3xdjnohlsd
typing nothing but 'H': 1shmi42916khti4hh4
typing nothing but 'Y': 0ea156q4kydycyyxrkt3y

Reaction score
Same here. Did a fresh re-install of Windows... Internet Explorer has the problem, Firefox has the problem, Edge doesn't! It's in the SaveAs dialog, the problem doesn't occur anywhere else. Tried the save-as dialog in Office / notepad: no problem.

Windows Version: Windows 10 Pro
Version: 1903
Installed: 6/21/2019
OS Build: 10.0.18362 (18362.175)

Hardware:
Brand/type: Laptop HP ZBook 15,
Processor: Intel Core I7-8750H (Hypertreading enabled)
RAM: 16GB
BIOS: HP Q70 ver. 01.07.01 06/03/2019
Keyboard: Qwerty - US International

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you have Sophos Home Premium installed, it is likely a conflict with the Keylogging protection:

Sophos tries to protect various applications, but since updating to Windows 10 1903 it can cause the keystrokes to be scrambled. Disabling it should resolve the issue. I was going mad with this myself, initially thinking it's a Windows bug, but it's actually a software conflict.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Finally! I'm cured.
Sophos confirmed. They are aware of the problem and are working on a fix.
Would it have been that hard to distribute a global email to the subscribers?

Reaction score
In all my years in IT, this one had me stumped for a while! It shows that AV software really does go deep on certain functionality these days.

I assume there were API changes in the May update that have broke the keylogging protection in 1903, it's enabled by default from what I can see. The "workarounds" from Sophos are pretty lame, disabling is really the only option currently. However, I hope it helps others. I'd imagine the people that replied here with "me too" are all Sophos Home Premium users.

Ask a Question