Laptop non- responsive in both sleep or hibernate mode - requires force shut-down

Reaction score
I tried including my (similar) issue in another's thread but received no response so I'm hoping someone will help me in this new thread!

My computer won't wake from sleep mode using the power button since upgrade/clean install to Windows 10 even though it is set to do so - Windows seems to freeze in the power off mode instead. I have to long press the power button, wait, then press again to revive the system. HD activity light, display and all other indications of life non-existent after any key press.

I have a Dell Inspiron 7537 with a Samsung 1TB SSD (two partitions - OS and storage) running Windows 10 - first I did the upgrade from 8.1, then, once everything was up and running and tested for a few days I did a clean install of Windows 10 using the media creation tool. All previous partitions were decimated (deliberately).

I don't believe I experienced this problem following the initial upgrade from 8.1, but I can say with certainty it is plaguing me now.

A user (Buzzy bee - I think) on another forum claimed the solution was to disable hibernate and only use sleep, but after completely changing all of my power plan settings to completely eliminate one or the other, battery vs. plugged in, I still have this problem.

My power button is currently set to hibernate (previously sleep), display turn off after 120 minutes, never sleep (previously never hibernate), never shut off the HDD.

What's happening is that I press the power button, and (sometimes) when I am gone only briefly I can "wake" the computer with the power button. Most of the time I have to long press for a forced shutdown and then press again for a reboot. This is soooooo frustrating and likely not good for the operating system.

Again, when the laptop is in this "frozen" or crashed state, pressing on any keys does nothing, and no lights give any indication of HDD activity.

Any suggestions?

The only one thing I did differently this time around (clean install) was to take some HD graphics drivers from the Intel site, as well as I am running NVIDEA Geoforce. I did read on one forum a suggestion that a graphics driver might be the problem, but there was no useful suggestions for troubleshooting and no confirmation of this being the cause of the problem. (I've since reverted to the Intel HD graphics driver from HP, as well as the latest NVIDIA driver).

Any help greatly appreciated!

Ask a Question