SOLVED laptop speakers do not work

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums :).

Could you please let us know your laptop model? Does the sound ever work and when did it stop working?

Is there a speaker icon in your system tray (usually bottom-right corner)? If so, can you please right click it an select "troubleshoot sound problems". It'll take you through a few steps to make sure you have the correct audio output enabled.

Reaction score
Thanks for responding. Toshiba laptop model is L655-S5150. My audio quit working after I upgraded to Windows 10 last year. I ran the troubleshoot and performed all recommendations but to no avail. Only method to hear audio is using an outside speaker with headphone settings which has become inconvenient.

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Have you tried installing the recommended Toshiba drivers? Can you please visit this page and select Windows 8 (32 or 64 bit depending on your version of W10):

http://support.toshiba.com/support/modelHome?freeText=2861831

Then, narrow driver by type to "audio" and download/install the "Conexant Audio Driver" :)

That will hopefully help, but certainly won't harm things.

Do you know if you have any missing hardware drivers in Device Manager?

Reaction score
Thank you. Downloaded recommended audio driver and now speaker works! The microphone audio has a shrill tone so I had to turn volume off. Is there an adjustment I need to do to make it normal? Not sure about missing hardware drivers. Wish I had posted problem earlier. You made my day!

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Excellent, I'm glad that enabled it again for you :).

As for the microphone tone, I'm not sure what that could be - but you could try tweaking the levels settings (if available). If you right click the speaker icon in the system try, click "recording devices" and then view the properties of your active microphone. There may be a levels and microphone enhancements tab here, where you can adjust some settings that may make a difference.

Ask a Question