Laptop will not sleep

Reaction score
Laptop: Toshiba Satellite C50-B
Running: Win 10 build 10240 (Just updated last night to Win 10 for free from Win 8.1)
Intel Pentium CPU N3530 @ 2.16GHz, Quad core 4GB Ram

I have been searching all night for an answer to this, and searching this forum, I couldn't find a thread like my problem. (the others being cannot wake from sleep)

My laptop will not enter sleep mode/ log out when lid is closed.
When I shut the lid, then open it again, it does not auto-log out or ask for a password, but wakes up showing my desktop straight away. When I manually click the power button in start and press sleep, the screen goes blank while the fan is still making noises, and doesn't enter sleep mode. It wakes itself without any buttons being pressed.

I have changed all Power and Battery Options to "Require password when Wake", And to enter sleep mode. But nothing is working. My Intel HD Graphics has been updated, all my drivers are up to date, Network adapters were already set so they don't allow wake up.

Is there a patch fix coming out soon? As I know a few people have this problem, but there have been no fixes for it yet.
I know a lot of people don't like having to enter a password when waking their laptops, But it is a bit of a privacy issue if there is no protection when the lid is opened, and the laptop opens immediately to desktop.

Thank you for any help of suggestions.

url]
Power options Advanced.png
Power Options Sleep.png

Reaction score
Have you tried this method...........
Open Power Options > right side, click Change plan settings > click Change advanced power settings > scroll to and click the + sign in front of Multimedia settings > click the + sign in front of When sharing media > at On battery : click and select Allow the computer to sleep > at Plugged in : click and select Allow computer to sleep. > OK when done

allow computer to sleep..jpg

Reaction score
Have you tried this method...........
Open Power Options > right side, click Change plan settings > click Change advanced power settings > scroll to and click the + sign in front of Multimedia settings > click the + sign in front of When sharing media > at On battery : click and select Allow the computer to sleep > at Plugged in : click and select Allow computer to sleep. > OK when done

View attachment 633

When I went into Advanced power setting, Under Multimedia both of these were already set to "Allow Computer to Sleep". I changed both options to "Prevent Idiling" clicked apply, then changed back to "Allow computer to Sleep" But It is still not working.

As soon as I press Sleep from the power button in start menu, waiting a few moments then pressing any key, it wakes back up to desktop without needing password, same for when i close and open laptop lid.

power allow.png

Reaction score
Go to Control Panel>Power Options. On the left hand panel choose "Require a password on wake-up". Under "Define power buttons and turn on password protection" click "Change settings that are currently unavailable". This will allow you to choose "Require a password (recommended) under "Password protection on wake-up"

Reaction score
Go to Control Panel>Power Options. On the left hand panel choose "Require a password on wake-up". Under "Define power buttons and turn on password protection" click "Change settings that are currently unavailable". This will allow you to choose "Require a password (recommended) under "Password protection on wake-up"

At the bottom of my original post, I have attached a picture showing that this setting is already selected.

I also used "powercfg - requests" to see if any programs are preventing my laptop from entering sleep mode, but it all came back as none. The Laptop not sleeping, has become an annoying issue, as I cannot figure out why even with all options selected, I still can not get my laptop to enter sleep mode, either plugged into power, or running on battery.

I guess I might just wait around until there is an update for windows.

cmd.png

Ask a Question