SOLVED Large quantity of unidentified space on C drive

Reaction score
For some time, everytime I free up space on C, or added space from an adjacent partition, I turn around and the space disappears, leaving on about 10-16 Gb. I have no issues with speed of operation and it never fills up but prperties of C indicate 55 Gb capacity, 534 Gb used, and and 16 Gb free. When I run JDisk, it reports 181 Gb of file space leaving 369 Gb free, although JDisk doesn't actually state the free space, just occupied space. I have no hiberfil.sys and pagefile.sys is only about 2.5 Gb, so as you can see I'm at a bit of a loss to explain what seems to be occupying mosy of the free space of my C system drive. I run Win 10 ro 64 bit fully up to dateon an Intel i7-4770K CPU @ 3.50 GHz 3501 MHz 4 Cores Amer Megatrends 1504 on a Sabertooth Z87 and 32 Gig Ram. I'd appreciate any thoughts as I've never had rthis happen on my other 3 computers. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
Finally downloaded Disk Reporter which is a neat little program for $25 to try, and it gave me the clue as to what files were hogging a large chunk of my C system drive. It was Kaspersky Temp files buried in the C:\documents and settings\all users\application data\kaspersky lab\AVP21.1\temp folder. There were 322 Gb of temp files there. To delete these I turned off Self Defense mode in the Kaspersky App then deleted the files, then turned Self Defense back on. Immediately afterward the C properties on my C drives showed capacity 550 Gb, used 179 Gb, and free 371 Gb. It was just that one damned temp file doing all the hogging. It really wasn't hurting anything as free spaced was fluctuating between 10-50 Gb so overhead was OK but the whole thing was just annoying. Any of you using Kaspersky pay attention if you seem to be losing space as this will be the culprit. Cheers.

Ask a Question