SOLVED Lastpass in Edge browser

Reaction score
MS keeps claiming that Edge is the best browser for my needs. If so, am I the only one trying to use Lastpass in MS Edge browser who has met with zero success? I'm on the 1703 update and have successfully used Lastpass for years on Chrome. My history of trying to give Edge a fair try always seems to bomb when trying to use Lastpass. Yes, I have the extension turned on! Hang on Chrome; it looks like I'll be right back!! Any thoughts/suggestions?

Regedit32

Reaction score
Hi GordieO,

Welcome to the Forum.

When you open Edge, take a look at the Settings > Clear browsing data [Choose what to clear]

Make sure that there is No Check next to Cookies and saved website data — if that is cleared the Lastpass will lose information and forget who you are; resulting in the need to sign in again and re-enter passwords.

Failing that your only other option would be to take ownership of Microsoft Edge package in order to delete the AC folder, create a new AC folder and attempt to start a new Edge session with the Lastpass extension:
  • Press Windows key + S key together
  • In the Search / Cortana field type comm then in results right-click on Command Prompt and select Run as administrator
  • Click Yes when the User Account Control prompts you
  • In the Administrator: Command Prompt window type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
takeown /f “%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC” /a /r

Press Enter key then close Command window​

• Now open File Explorer
  • In the Address bar of File Explorer type or copy & paste the following:
Code:
%USERPROFILE%\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe

Press Enter key

Right-click on AC folder and select Delete

Right-click on a blank area inside and select New > Folder and name it AC

Close all open programs and restart computer

After restarting launch Edge again and try the Lastpass extension​

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Regedit32,
Thanks for the quick reply. The first part of your suggestion worked fine. For some reason the second code you suggested for File Explorer returned no results on 2 separate tries, however, I restarted and tried using LastPass again and it worked! Appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Just curious. I have been reading the LastPass site. So, it saves passwords - correct?

Does it do more than the Edge option to save passwords?

Reaction score
Yes. It not only saves them it creates and adds new ones when you add new passworded sites. It also works in most web browsers and even on your cell phone if you upgrade to the paid version. It's nice to only have to remember one password for all of your sites requiring passwords. Definitely recommend.

Reaction score
Ok &Tks for the response. I don't think it is something I could use. Most of my browsing, which uses passwords is on forums. I only have one password for all - nothing important on them anyway, if I was hacked (Wouldn't see any benefit in a hacker wanting to waste his time doing that)

Personal stuff, like banks etc, are usually reasonably password protected Where I live, we have a process called Nemid for most institutes. It is a three stage protection.
Is LastPass protected in anyway, Hackers these days will try anything, mainly to gain private info and sell it -

Data

Chief Operations Officer
Reaction score
(Wouldn't see any benefit in a hacker wanting to waste his time doing that)

Those type hacks are invariably scripted and automated, no one is really looking at which passwords for which sites. Dumps are sold/released for others to profit. Just look at what happens with all similar hacks for large companies and the likes..

Unless of course someone hacked you specifically and its more likely then you fall prey to some social engineering method, and in that case, anything you would do from that point on would be compromised.

Ask a Question