Latest Update.

Reaction score
Help/advice needed. Went to switch off my laptop last night and the options had changed. Basically it was to "update" or "sleep", so not trusting it I put it to "sleep" Here's the problem.

The last time I did the update I ended up losing most of my photographs and a lot of files. Luckily I managed to "roll-back" and at the moment things are OK.

So, do I go ahead and let it do the update or somehow delay it. Due to go on holiday on Sunday so am desperate for advice as I don't fancy leaving it "sleeping" for 10 days!!!

Reaction score
Did you find out why you lost your files before ?

Have you backed up those files and perhaps even done an image backup?

The update, depending on which one/s you are getting may need a restart to complete the install. The best path is to back everything up on an external location. If you have files in some location other than the default locations or if your system drive has limited free space, advise.

If I was going to be away for a while I would shut the system down, but that might also trigger the update finishing the install.

Reaction score
Thanks Saltgrass for replying. it initially was for the "Creator" (?) update. As I said, I managed to roll-back and have subsequently backed everything up to an external hard drive. The impression I get is that if I shut down the update will install. Do you think it's worth giving it a go - as a "silver-surfer" I'm just a little concerned that i could have more problems!!!

Reaction score
If you rolled back the Creator's Update, what configuration is your system in now. Are you trying to redo that update or one of the minor updates?

I suppose the answer is folks tend to lose there files on the major updates but the minor ones aren't usually that dangerous. If you lost your files once, it would be really good to find out why. There will be more build updates, like the Creator's update, coming ever so often.

One reason I can imagine files being lost because the system has not finished replacing files from the archives created during the update and the operator moves those archive files. Or possibly the space on the drive is limited and the files have no room to be restored to the original locations.

Reaction score
Thanks for that. I have plenty of space left. Do I assume that the update will be the "Creator" one. How can I check what it will contain. (Appreciate your help)

Reaction score
Go to the settings-Updates and check the update history. It should show what updates are installed and which ones are ready to be installed.

To see what version your are running look at the Settings-System and click on About to see the build number and version.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Fairly sure you can do this via Start > Shutdown from the Desktop, but if not:
  • Press windows key + L to lock screen
  • On lockscreen click Start > Shutdown > then you will see both shutdown and update, or shut down without update [ sorry forgot the exact wording ].
This of course will only appear if there is an update ready to be installed.

Also, as I already said, I'm sure you have that option straight from the Desktop Start menu too.

Reaction score
So, fired it up this morning, did a restart to see if the update was going to install and nothing (update wise) happened. Went in to Settings and this is what it says

Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 for x64 (KB3186568)
Failed

Any ideas?

Ask a Question