Left Click on mouse won't open folders

Reaction score
Yesterday, out of the blue, I was no longer able to left click on a folder to open it. If I right click and then choose open, it will open. I get the error message:

upload_2015-10-21_2-56-2.png

I have not made any changes lately and I don't know what could cause this as I have never experienced this on any version of windows. I am running Windows 10 Enterprise on my Dell XPS 8100 with an Intel i5 Processor at 3.20Mhz and 8 GBs of DDR3 RAM, and a 1 TB HDD which is about 1/2 full/empty.

If anyone has experienced this, please let me know as I have LOTS of security running and still something looks to have gotten through.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Steven

Reaction score
See if this is the answer for you ........................
in the search box, type file explorer options > at the pop up box, click File Explorer Options > click View at the top > under Click items as follows heading, put a dot at the option you want > OK when done.

By the way, I think and I may be wrong, by default........
Left click is to Select.
Double click or Right click is to Open.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Yesterday, out of the blue

Do a system restore. Pick a date that is before " yesterday " as your restore point. Mind you, your "yesterday" may be a few days ago since then. So, make sure you pick a date that is Prior to that "yesterday".

If you require info on how to do system restore, please post back.

Reaction score
See if this is the answer for you ........................
in the search box, type file explorer options > at the pop up box, click File Explorer Options > click View at the top > under Click items as follows heading, put a dot at the option you want > OK when done.

By the way, I think and I may be wrong, by default........
Left click is to Select.
Double click or Right click is to Open.
Here is the default;
defaults.png

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Seems like a very strange issue.
If the System Restore that david recommended doesn't work (it should).
You might try using the native System File Checker to see if it might fix the problem. Maybe even before doing a system restore.

Reaction score
I have tried all of the above, less the System Restore. I don't have Restore Points that go back far enough.

This happened after a Windows 10 Update. I don't know which one though. It seems like virtually every time an update is installed, it makes some things non-functional. I never had issues like this on any other version of Windows that I have used for the past 20+ years. I would change back to 7,but it is inevitable that Windows 10 is where I will eventually be forced into, so I am trying to fix things as they pop-up.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I have tried all of the above, less the System Restore. I do not want to have to re-install all of my apps/programs, etc.

There might be a misinterpretation on how system restore works.
System Restore is NOT reinstalling the operating system.
System restore is to "roll back" your system to a date when everything was working correctly.
In your case, it happened just " yesterday out of the blue".
All you need to do is to choose a date that is BEFORE that "yesterday" as your point to restore.
No programs or apps will be erased unless they were installed AFTER the restore date you pick.

Example, if you picked October 23rd as your restore point......................
all programs or apps installed on 24th to present date will have to be reinstalled.
all programs or apps installed before October 23rd will remain intact.

Reaction score
After my reply, I realized that I misspoke. I edited my response. Due to other issues, unfortunately I have no Restore Points before this occurred. In the beginning, when I had tons of trouble with the install, I would add a Restore Point after each install of a new program, but now that time has passed, and one of my uninstall programs creates a restore point, it has "deleted" the earlier ones...so I have nothing to work with as far as system restore. That would have been my first option.

I can't find out any more that this has happened from XP on, even though I have never experienced it before.

I have tried to "fix" many of the short-comings of Windows 10 as they pop up and for the most part, I have had success. Usually takes a registry tweak, but now I have done it so many times, that I edit the registry as easily as I create a Word document.

Anyway, this is very strange and I can't find any info that has corrected the exact issue I have.

Reaction score
Thank you for editing the response.

OK This is to reset your computer..................
RIGHT click at the Start button > click "Shut down or sign out" > a popup box will appear, Restart is one of the options.
Press Shift key and hold > click Restart > wait > click Troubleshoot > click Reset this PC > follow the prompts from then on.............

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
If I right click and then choose open, it will open.
Does this happen with both "files" as well as "folders" (you can't double click either to get them to open)? Or just certain files?
I assume that if you use your left mouse button to highlight / select a file and then hit the enter key on your keyboard that, that works as well?
Is there something unique about your pointing device? Does it require a vendor specific driver? Have you tried using alternate mice (USB wired)?
I have LOTS of security running
Can you explain as to what that means in detail, as to which security programs you have currently installed?

Reaction score
kiaya611,

"lots of security " running does not necessarily make your computer safer.
In fact, different security programs may cause conflicts among one another and render you system vulnerable.

I have the built-in Windows Defender as my Real-time protection and a free edition of Malwarebytes as my on-demand protection. I have no security issue.

Reaction score
What exactly is GI issues. It looks more like a program , or an internet shortcut, than a folder?

Reaction score
Does this happen with both "files" as well as "folders" (you can't double click either to get them to open)? Or just certain files?
I assume that if you use your left mouse button to highlight / select a file and then hit the enter key on your keyboard that, that works as well?
Is there something unique about your pointing device? Does it require a vendor specific driver? Have you tried using alternate mice (USB wired)?

Can you explain as to what that means in detail, as to which security programs you have currently installed?

Ok, I can Left Double Click on a program or file and it will open without a problem. If I Left Double Click on a Folder, it will not open and I get the above referenced error (my fist post, I think). I can Right click and choose Open and the folder will open fine. I am using a Gear-Head Wireless USB mouse and have been for a few years without any problems. I believe it was "plug-n-play" and didn't come with any software/drivers.

As far as security, I have AVG, Advanced System Healthcare, Reason Core Security, UnHackMe, Avira, Malwarebytes and Fort Know Firewall.

Reaction score
What exactly is GI issues. It looks more like a program , or an internet shortcut, than a folder?
I don't know exactly where you got that from, but I didn't kill myself to read all of the replies. GI= Gastroentestional. HTH

Reaction score
Thank you for editing the response.

OK This is to reset your computer..................
RIGHT click at the Start button > click "Shut down or sign out" > a popup box will appear, Restart is one of the options.
Press Shift key and hold > click Restart > wait > click Troubleshoot > click Reset this PC > follow the prompts from then on.............
Now, if I choose that option, I WILL loose ALL of my programs. I will keep my files and setting, but because of all of the trouble I had installing 10, I do not want to go through weeks of figuring out what I had and re-installing everything again. I wold install 10 over itself before I would entertain that idea.

Ask a Question