Limited access or no Internet

Reaction score
Hi,
I recently upgraded my laptop to Windows 10. Since then, I can not connect to Internet at all. The cable says no Internet when connected and wifi says limited access when connected. I am posting this through my phone because my laptop keeps saying limited access.

Please help..

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Check device manager and make sure you're not needing a device driver for your Ethernet Network Card.
If that appears OK, then use the link in the network and sharing center to "Troubleshoot problems".
See if that produces any information.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Doesn't troubleshooting require Internet?
Not in the beginning it steps through a few intermediate checks first, which might provide some insight.
Check settings -> Network & Internet -> Ethernet
Click your device
Make sure the slider is blue and says "on"
Do the same for your wireless connection

Reaction score
Didn't help.
I connected the Lan then diagnosed it and it said my drivers for ethernet have problem. 9 clicked try fixing, but it was unable. Are the drivers not supported by Windows 10?

Reaction score
So what make and model are your Ethernet and wifi adapters. In Device manager are they both enabled and working as shown there? Are you getting an ipaddress and gateway address? I presume not on Ethernet but maybe on wifi.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
clicked try fixing, but it was unable
Evidently there is not any native support and without an internet connection it can't search for drivers on Windows Updates.

It would help if we knew which device it was.
Open device manager
Expand network adapters
Right click the problem Ethernet adapter and choose properties
Switch to the "Details" tab
Change the drop down to hardware ids
Select the top line in the Value box, right click it and choose copy.
Paste it here or into Google and see if we can't get it identified and find the proper driver.

Reaction score
I tried downloading and manually updating the drivers, then restarted the computer, but it still does not work.
It still says ethernet adapter has a problem.

Last edited:

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Did you get the driver from here http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads...d=5&Level=5&Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&GetDown=false
I notice that they don't seem to have a driver that references Windows 10 specifically for that Realtek RTL8168/8111 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet NIC, but.....
They do have Win8, Win8.1 and Server 2012 Auto Installation Program (SID:1726143) 8.038 2015/5/27
which I would think should work, at least in the interim until something newer comes along.

Reaction score
I think we have found the solution for the most of us:

There is a problem with VPN client out of updated, when you update to Windows 10.

Some of you have VPN client intalled?

The problem affect all the network adapters.

If is your case, in this link and just 2 commands your problem will be resolved, like the mine was!!

Here is the link for the solution:

http://www.redmondpie.com/fix-no-wi-fi-available-after-windows-10-upgrade-issue-heres-how/

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Good find and certainly worth a try.
Wondering if that particular article would apply to both wired as well as wifi.
The title suggest WiFi, although if it truly a VPN problem then I would think it would apply to either or both interfaces.

BHF

Reaction score
My sister and I each bought HP15 laptops several months ago. We live together and use WIFI system I installed a few years ago. About 4 weeks ago we both upgraded from 8.1 to WIN10 and had no issues with WIFI connection. However, about 10 days ago my sister used her laptop all morning, logged off, shut it down, then logged back in that afternoon. She could only get "limited" internet. Mine has not had that problem (so far). I have rebooted modem/router, checked hers against my computer set-up, system files ditto, but cannot get hers to work. Why would mine continue (keep fingers crossed) but hers not?

Reaction score
I found this video useful for fixing the wifi issue at my dell inspiron lappy running windows 10.

Ask a Question