Linksys Wireless Adapter Install

Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade my wireless adapter with linksys USB .Problem is when I install the cd I get the message administrator won't let me use this app without administrator permission Problem 2 when I go to com prompt adimin and bring up administration sign in I get a blank

Reaction score
Have you checked if Windows has a driver for the Linksys? Plug it in and see if Device manager recognizes it. If so go off to networking and enable it. If not put the CD in the drive and ask Windows to search for a driver.

You probably do NOT want any network stuff installed from Linksys ( except the raw driver) as their stuff will probably just be bloatware. Windows does it better.

Reaction score
You bare logged on as the Administrator, and you are not using , for example, Windows 10 Home edition??

Reaction score
I am trying to upgrade my wireless adapter with linksys USB .Problem is when I install the cd I get the message administrator won't let me use this app without administrator permission Problem 2 when I go to com prompt adimin and bring up administration sign in I get a blank
Thanks for your reply. Yes it shows up in device manager when I plug in the usb. Iam not sure that Iam doing it right when trying to enable it. Using the cd just gives me the(won't let me use this app without administrator permission) What I am trying to do is go from 2.5 g to 5g wireless as my laptop is an older HP running Intel core 3. I bought a linksys USB wireless adapter to try and archive this

Reaction score
If the linksys is shown as working in device manager then
Go to Network and sharing center
Go to Change adapter settings.
You should see probably three adapters. Your new Linksys, your current Wifi adapter and an ethernet adapter.
Right click the Linksys it will probably show Not connected. You probably should click in the old adapter and disconnect now but you don't have to.
Right click the Linksys and click connect. You will get taken off to Settings, go to Networking, go to Wifi and you should be able to connect to a network. Now you have two connections so I'd recommend that you disconnect the old adapter and just use the new one for a bit. I assume that is on 2.4Ghz. If you already have your router set up to offer a 5Ghz connection then try that.

Reaction score
If the linksys is shown as requiring a driver in Device manager then reboot and check again. If it still says no driver then put the CD into the drive and , in device manager, click on update driver. First let WIndows search. If that fails then point to the CD drive and Windows should find a driver there.

Then off to my last message above.

Reaction score
I just plugged in my USB Linksys, for the sample.

Right click properties show these:

Driver_Drv File Detailss.PNG
Advanced.PNG

Driver_Drv File Detailss.PNG

Reaction score
If the linksys is shown as requiring a driver in Device manager then reboot and check again. If it still says no driver then put the CD into the drive and , in device manager, click on update driver. First let WIndows search. If that fails then point to the CD drive and Windows should find a driver there.

Then off to my last message above.
The Linksys usb does show up in Devive manager. I have made a search for it as well as update both within the computer and on line. With the USB plugged in I went to network and sharing center where it does not show up. Using the CD just brings me back to my original stated problem

Reaction score
When the Linksys device showed in device manager did it show that it was working with a driver installed? It might have said it was disabled in which case you'd need to enable it.

As for the CD I guess you have autorun turned on.

What is the model number of the Linksys adapter?

Reaction score
When the Linksys device showed in device manager did it show that it was working with a driver installed? It might have said it was disabled in which case you'd need to enable it.

As for the CD I guess you have autorun turned on.

What is the model number of the Linksys adapter?
Model # AE6000. When I click on it in Device manager (General tab) This device is working properly. Hope this helps
Capture AE6000.PNG
AE 6000.PNG

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
There would appear to be a newer driver here
http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148508

Capture.PNG

Driver Install - Manual Method
Download the driver and extract it to a folder.
  1. Open the Device Manager.
  2. Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. You can select Properties > Driver > Driver Details to check you have the right device.
  3. Choose Update Driver Software.
  4. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
  5. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  6. Select Have disk...
  7. Select Browse..
  8. Navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the .inf file (the appropriate folder for your system architecture x86 for 32 bit or x64 for 64 bit)
  9. Hit OK, then Next and the driver(s) will then begin to install.
  10. After it has installed, GoTo C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. Locate the driver you've just updated, right click it and check the dates under its properties.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Sorry.... didn't mean to butt-in. Didn't know if you were up and about this morning.
I'm just glad that someone finally asked the OP, what adapter he was actually using... :)

Reaction score
Sorry.... didn't mean to butt-in. Didn't know if you were up and about this morning.
I'm just glad that someone finally asked the OP, what adapter he was actually using... :)

It is GOOD when you, Ian or Regedit32 butt in as you know more than I do. Once it was seen that the device had arrived in device manager and had a driver I was surprised that it just did not appear in the list of adapters in 'change my adapter settings'. Hopefully it will with the new driver.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It is GOOD when you, Ian or Regedit32 butt in as you know more than I do
Wow.... IF that were only true.
I'm convinced that the more I think I know, the less I actually do. I learn things everyday on this forum and with Windows 10 being the gift that keeps on giving when it comes to weird problems, I'm also convinced that my education will continue.
Now if we can just get DONA to hit the big red button sometime today.

Reaction score
Well, I'll still throw in my 2 cents anyway.!

I think (?) the help is off track in this thread, It has little to do with wrong drivers. It starts in the first OP's post
"Problem is when I install the cd I get the message administrator won't let me use this app without administrator permission Problem 2 when I go to com prompt adimin and bring up administration sign in I get a blank"

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
You're probably right Dave.
In which case, if his account is not a member of the local adminsitrators group, then he will be unable to install that driver either.
AND.....
That's what I get for butting in without a more exhaustive reading of the entire thread.
The OP will no doubt need to remedy his lack of administrator control of the computer, which is not all that hard albeit a bit of a pain.

Reaction score
There would appear to be a newer driver here
http://www.linksys.com/us/support-article?articleNum=148508

View attachment 4920

Driver Install - Manual Method
Download the driver and extract it to a folder.
  1. Open the Device Manager.
  2. Right click the device you wish to change the drivers for. You can select Properties > Driver > Driver Details to check you have the right device.
  3. Choose Update Driver Software.
  4. Select Browse My Computer For Driver Software.
  5. Select Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer.
  6. Select Have disk...
  7. Select Browse..
  8. Navigate to the extracted folder and double click on the .inf file (the appropriate folder for your system architecture x86 for 32 bit or x64 for 64 bit)
  9. Hit OK, then Next and the driver(s) will then begin to install.
  10. After it has installed, GoTo C:\Windows\System32\Drivers. Locate the driver you've just updated, right click it and check the dates under its properties.
Thank you. The problem is solved my system is 64 K and the adapter is for 32k. I have reordered the proper one thru Amazon.
Thanks for everybody's Help

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IF you say so.....
I'm pretty sure that the driver I linked to above has both 32 and 64 bit drivers for the AE6000

Reaction score
IF you say so.....
I'm pretty sure that the driver I linked to above has both 32 and 64 bit drivers for the AE6000
I phoned linksys and what they came with was I had the wrong adapter for my computer .The good part of all this is the right one(usb6300) is half the price. Thanks to all for the education on Drivers

Ask a Question