LIST OF PROBLEMS - ADD YOURS.

Reaction score
Well, it was an 'interesting' week. I did an upgrade from Windows 7 Pro into Win 10 Pro.
Asus motherboard, Intel 82579V Gigabit wired Ethernet connection.

So, here is a list, a pathetic Microsoft support is unable to neither understand nor comprehend less to offer any ideas of what to do with.

1. Power management plain broken. No activities initiate for power modes change, no screensaver activation, no power down monitors upon pre-set timeout, zilch.

2. A MAJOR issue that I think I saw multiple times in other posts that affects most of the system.

Windows 10 has a completely broken proxy auto detection.

It is invisible and does not affect internet browsing but about of a half of a system processes is then plain broken due to that bug. Those processes cannot communicate.

It means but not limited to - XBOX application will not log you in, in the settings 'accounts' section you cannot login into Microsoft account claiming 'you are not connected to Internet', Windows Store is not working, Office 365 cannot connect to servers and neither create account nor get mail (while internal Mail client in Win10 works fine with same Office365 account), etc.
Naturally, your network status is shown happily connected to that Internet, no troubleshooters detect anything, there are no visible signs of any issues, it is all hidden into Win10 guts.

I was hit by it initially when I installed Office 365 and Outlook 2013 was unable to connect to our corporate exchange server, for no obvious reason.
At the same time, Windows update would not be able to work popping up incomprehensible error 0x80240438.

A first partial solution is to proceed to
Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Network and Sharing Center
then click at 'internet option' in the lower left corner, go to 'connections' tab and into 'lan settings' and uncheck this dreaded checkmark in the 'autodetect' proxy feature. that will make most applications happy. It gets set 'checked' by default.

BUT NOT THE CORE WINDOWS BITS SERVICE!!! Developers worked long and hard to make this system unfixable.

All default jobs for downloads are submitted into BITS with proxy set to 'AUTODETECT'. That efficiently results in your windows store application unable to download anything, in you windows update unable to download anything - it does not error out, of course, it just starts download and sits stuck in there forever at 0%. To see what is going on you need to use bitsadmin tool from the command prompt ran under admin privileges and look at the list of tasks -
bitsadmin /list/ allusers

or read this
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...e/17f48b91-c12c-41de-8c3a-63954cd40639?auth=1

and this
http://blogs.technet.com/b/networki...-to-test-the-bits-client-on-your-machine.aspx

In the test above you can see if you submit a job with NO_PROXY specified - it works like a charm.
but if you do that
Bitsadmin /setproxysettings bitstest preconfig
or that
Bitsadmin /setproxysettings bitstest autodetect

- you get same exact situation with a bits job hanging forever.
If you run
bitsadmin.exe /Util /GetIEProxy LocalSystem

and then
bitsadmin.exe /info {--job_id--} /verbose

you will see that windows keeps posting all jobs into BITS enforcing AUTODETECT as a default ignoring your settings.
you can use
bitsadmin.exe /Util /SetIEProxy LocalSystem NO_PROXY

- it does set it correctly, but, you have guessed right - Windows 10 does not give a damn what it is you set up and keeps creating jobs with AUTODETECT that never works.

WORKAROUNDS

as ridiculous as Microsoft is, workaround is also of a same kind. If you have a work VPN - Cisco or anything - there is a 90% chance that if you connect to VPN over same network adapter - it will work fine - that is my solution.

Other solution is to create an actual d@mn proxy in your proxy-less network and configure it manually into BITS using same bitsadmin, and with some luck it may start to work.

On my machine it sometimes starts to work and download updates after I reset winsock and tcp4 but it 'fixes' itself overnight and next day it does not work again.

NOTHING of what I explained above is within understanding of this Indian support that may call you if you open a ticket, they act like they hear words BITSADMIN for a first time in their call center lives, that may be indeed a true fact.

Still, it is very annoying and very frustrating. And took me some time to dig to the root of it.

I am still unable to find why original proxy autodetect is broken - all Intel drivers were tested, router udated, DHCP removed from router and moved into Linux DHCPD process and back, fixed IP address was set on the interface, IPV6 added and removed from both Windows and router - nothing so far did any difference to make autodetect work.

Where it works is our corporate network where there is a hardware proxy solution and DHCP serviced from a corporate switch.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Two things and you go on a big rant? Power management works great on all my systems here - previous W7 and W8.1 system. Proxy problems is a problem, but hardly MAJOR - except for a few.

The truth of the matter is, the upgrade has gone remarkably well - considering approximately 1 billion W7 and W8 systems are involved. And with virtually each and every one of those systems being unique, MS needs to be applauded.

That said, I do understand the frustration for those not so lucky.

Reaction score
Rant is pointless, true. As of 'only one issue' - it is not one issue, it is one core issue that creates countless others as essentially network is not available to a half of the internal OS resources while it is reported as fully up and operational to all user facing control interfaces.

It also meant btw - it was unable to perform windows activation after install. Same core reason.

And none of that ever showed up in any virtual setup i had and does not show up in corporate environment, that brings rant to same old point as it was with win 8 - microsoft published again a software that did not go through sufficient QA and we are essentially doing beta testing now on our own paid live systems.

If for you it is all fun and games - i work on that workstation and i lost 2 days of work due to those completely unexpected complications with a total lack of ability of support people to understand and explain what is going on. And it is unacceptable.

Reaction score
If for you it is all fun and games
Hardly fun and games for me - which is why I have a viable backup program so I would never lose more than one full day of work, at most.

Sorry if it seemed I made little of something big to other. And yes it is sad MS did not foresee, especially with all the beta testing they did, and all the testers out there. Hopefully a fix will come soon.

Reaction score
I will agree it is a rather long post for the items mentioned.

But. On a basic installation, I can open Xbox in all its glory - nothing customised.
You suggestion on disabling the auto proxy does, admittedly, work for you. It is possibly a shorter route to accomplish the mod through the IE internet settings, which is , indeed, where your path takes you.
As you are aware, by default, Windows 10 is using Edge. If not so knowledgeable users are not aware of this, the customising suggestion will accomplish nothing.

I have no problems with Power management.

I have also, since (several different installations) downloaded items from the store.

The two links you posted, although of a general nature, do refer to , in the first case, an earlier build, with several negative comments on the fix, and, the second link refers to a previous OS.(From 2008)

Perhaps, now you have the inplace upgrade, you could try installing fresh from the ISO? It may help with your problems.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I will agree it is a rather long post for the items mentioned.

Perhaps, now you have the inplace upgrade, you could try installing fresh from the ISO? It may help with your problems.

Sure, too long.

Issue exists, it did not go anywhere, I have no time to replace and reinstall all the software on the working machine and for now still have to connect to VPN to get updates

here is more recent link about same thing.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/...1de-8c3a-63954cd40639?page=1&tm=1441120270785

autodetect logic is broken, reset of winsock partially helps to make windows update to start working and temporarily supply jobs into BITS with 'no proxy' setting instead of 'autodetect' but windows store app always keeps sending jobs with 'autodetect' and that makes its download all get stuck.

I have installed windows 10 on 2 other laptops I have and none have this issue in same home network I use.
no idea what to do to fix the desktop install other than a complete reinstall and I may try to do it later during weekend.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Have you tried a clean boot to see if that provides any relief from the problem(s).
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135
Unfortunately even a clean boot will not always help if you have third party security suite software running on the system like Avast, Avira, AVG, Comodo, McAfee, Norton, Zone Alarm, etc.
OR
Third party VPN software solutions.
A clean boot does not always completely shut those things down..

Ask a Question