Live mail won't open

Reaction score
Toshiba Satellite L450D-128
Was running Win7, just downloaded Win10.
All good, but Live Mail won't open -- just hangs there until I go to task manager and close the task.
Uninstalled Windows Essentials and re-installed 2012 version from Windows Downloads site.
Same problem.
Any suggestions? Thanks.

Reaction score
I have been using Live mail (part of windows essentials) since the first Windows 10 build. No mods defaults etc.

Reaction score
I upgraded my HP Pavilion g6 from Win8 to Win10 with no problems at all, so I wasn't expecting this problem when I upgraded the Toshiba from Win7 to Win10.

Reaction score
Try the repair option: Right click Start -> Control Panel -> Programs and Features -> Windows Essentials 2012.
Click Uninstall/Repair -> Attempt repair.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I have been using Live mail (part of windows essentials) since the first Windows 10 build. No mods defaults etc.
Same here, although I hadn't tested on this clean install of Version 1511 Build 10586.3 so......
I did and it worked perfectly, as it had previously.
Not very helpful to the OP.
There is an option to repair the install, which may help.... IDK.
In the programs and features applet in the control panel, if you select Windows Essentials 2012 and click uninstall, repair should be an option.

Reaction score
I tried the repair option and it told me that the repair had been successful, but no change.

Reaction score
Try this. Go to C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\, and click wlmail.exe"

Reaction score
Thanks Dave, I'll give that a go. The laptop is my sister's so I have to pay her a visit to try it, and then I will get back to you.

Reaction score
Well, as you say you have tried the repair and a reinstall, I am afraid I am out of ideas.

Reaction score
Thanks anyway.

I know this is a late answer however if others are looking for a solution that I have used albeit, it seems only temporary, and still testing to see how long it lasts, unknowing the cause.. but it will get you back into your email.

You need to get into explorer and navigate to the following path: C:\Users\YOUR_USERNAME\AppData\Local\Windows Live\

You will see a folder called .cache which you will need to delete that folder regardless if it is empty.

Reboot your computer and you should have access to your Windows Live Mail once again.

Still looking for a permanent solution.

Reaction score
Thanks TRD -- I'll give this a try (might take a few days before I can get to it) and report back to you.

hTconeM9user

Running Latest version Office insider 376
Reaction score
Thanks TRD -- I'll give this a try (might take a few days before I can get to it) and report back to you.

Well you are there check that her antivirus is not blocking it as it has been known that some antiviruses do
Also Essentails does work ok with 10 I have it on mine and use it for a backup just tried it and works ok

Reaction score

I had the same issue. Windows Live mail wouldn't close properly and I continually had to close the process in Task Manager before I could get it to start again. I went to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" and right clicked on that executable, clicked Properties and went to the Compatibility tab. Changed it to Windows 7 compatibility. Windows Live Mail opened after that and when I closed it, a popup opened to say there was an issue closing WLM. I answered a couple questions and Windows fixed the issue. It now opens and closes perfectly.

Reaction score
@therealdizzy:
I deleted the .cache folder but no change.

@hTconeM9user:
Thanks. Norton is not blocking Windows Live Mail.

@El Zel@
WLM won't even open. It just hangs there like it's about to open and I have to go to task manager and end the task.

However, I did find that I can access WLM if I use troubleshooter to switch to Win8 mode, so all is not lost. It's just a tedious way of opening WLM, but sis is getting used to alternative ways of picking up her email so not so much of an issue now. Thanks to everybody that tried to help.

Reaction score
I had the same issue. Windows Live mail wouldn't close properly and I continually had to close the process in Task Manager before I could get it to start again. I went to "C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Live\Mail\wlmail.exe" and right clicked on that executable, clicked Properties and went to the Compatibility tab. Changed it to Windows 7 compatibility. Windows Live Mail opened after that and when I closed it, a popup opened to say there was an issue closing WLM. I answered a couple questions and Windows fixed the issue. It now opens and closes perfectly.

Windows Live Mail wouldn't open at all for me and this solution fixed the problem. Thanks El Zel.

BJM

Reaction score
Like timetraveller I couldn't open Live Mail and El Zel's solution fixed it for me. Thanks so much.

Ask a Question