Location of Microsoft Edge Favorites

Reaction score
When I first upgraded Windows 7 to Windows 10 all my Favorites imported into Microsoft Edge. At the time I didn't know that the Favorites for Microsoft Edge are stored in a different folder other than the Windows 7 folder of C:\users\mike\favorites. I was told that they are stored in the folder C:\Users\Mike\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\Favorites
but this is only true for the Favorites that imported during the original Windows 10 Update. Any Favorite that I delete from the Favorites list in Microsoft Edge doesn't get deleted from the Windows 10 Favorites Folder. In addition any new Favorites I create in Microsoft Edge do not show up in the Microsoft 10 Favorites Folder either. So where the heck are they? I even tried to search for one of the new Favorites I created by name and found nothing. They have to be stored somewhere, but where?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I believe that a some point either with the November update to 1511 build 10586 or shortly thereafter, Microsoft Edge now stores its' "Favorites" information in a database file called "spartan.edb" located here
C:\Users\YourUserName\AppData\Local\Packages\Microsoft.MicrosoftEdge_8wekyb3d8bbwe\AC\MicrosoftEdge\User\Default\DataStore\Data\nouser1\120712-0049\DBStore

Reaction score
At some point I will have to rebuild my Desktop because of new hardware or corruption. Would it work to copy the DBStore directory as a backup of my Favorites before rebuilding my desktop so I can copy the files back to the DBStore Folder to restore my Favorites after the rebuild?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I've only found one post commenting on using that method to backup and restore by making a copy of the entire folder.
I was under the impression that as long as you were using a Microsoft Account that all that information was backed up automatically and maintained by Microsoft so a clean install of Windows 10 would result in your favorites / favorites bar / passwords, etc., would be automatically recovered without any effort on the user's part.

Reaction score
Wow if that works that would be great. I will be upgrading my hard drives to solid state drives. I'll back up the directory first and see what happens on the rebuild. I'm gonna find out one way or another what works. This sounds like fun. I'll post the results when I'm done. Thanks for your responses.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
By all means.....
Keep us posted on how things turn out.,

Reaction score
Well it's been a while but I finally did it. I installed a new SSD for my Boot drive and had to reload Windows 10. Installed just fine. I'm really happy. Except my Favorites in Edge DID NOT COME BACK. :mad: Luckily I copied all my favorites as shortcuts on a different drive so I had to run each one to show up on the Edge Explorer and save them as a Favorite, all 200 hundred of them :eek: ARG!

Reaction score
I know it's doo late, but I use Firefox and it stores all my favourites in its cloud - and shares them across all my PCs which use the same FF account.

I'm sure others do the same, but I like FF

Alan

Reaction score
its return automaticly for me ... be sure to use the same Microsoft account and open turn on sync in all setting user and sync options

Ask a Question