Logging onto an FTP site using File Explorer

Reaction score
I'm trying to access an FTP site via File Explorer on Windows 10. All the help pages I've looked at say just to log in but no login box is coming up. On previous versions of Windows you could click file>Login as but this option is either gone or hidden somewhere else.

Any ideas?

Regedit32

Reaction score
You ought to be able to enter the ftp site address in the address bar of file explorer.

Example Image

ftp.png

Reaction score
Yeah I can do that, the problem is that there's no way of logging into the ftp site (password protected). Earlier versions of Windows had 'login as' under File but its not there any more.

Regedit32

Reaction score
Well if you have a username and password to enter the website then for example its:
  • Open File Explorer and in the address bar enter:
    • ftp//[email protected]
    • press enter
    • and if there is a password cache you will be prompted to enter your password

Reaction score
Yes, but it's not doing that, that's the problem.

(I'm not near a Windows 10 computer so can't test with the link you gave but it's the issue with the site I'm trying to access)

We think it's possibly because when you first enter the ftp address you get a dialogue box come up that says you will only have permission to view the folders you're set up for (or words to that effect) and that's overriding the password box. Clients access the site to upload work and they're having the same issue so it's not just my setup.

Ask a Question