Login Password Headache

Should you be required to enter a password at the login screen of Win10 ?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Ok, first I'll simply say I dislike the forced password "option" on the login screen of Win10.

To Microsoft I'll say: Please let me decide the level of (local) security my machine needs, if any at all.

As for the "fixes" I have read on these threads (and I have tried them all from netplwiz to uncheck the box and more), none have worked and now I find my machine now has two additional phantom "users" one of which I did not create, at all and the second I only created on advice from another thread, which did not work, either. The true phantom account is called something to the effect of "HomeGroupUsers$" which appeared on it's own.

So far I like what I see in Win10, except this deal breaker. It'd be a shame if even 15% of new Win10 converts had to choose to go back to their previous version because of this. I am close.

Reaction score
I agree whole heartedly. XP & 7 were the most user friendly and stable OS Microsoft had. I like the Edge browser, but still prefer IE 10 or 11 when downloading data. It seems Edge is more secure, maybe; not having to retype email addy & password every time one changes web sites. I've had 2 BSOD's after the latest auto update to a newer version since upgrading to 10. 10 is too restrictive, IMHO. I run Malwarebytes & the top rated internet security suite so I don't worry too much about security. First thing I do after setting up my computer the way I want is to do a disk image. Being the only user of this computer I don't need Bill Gates determining who or how I run it.

Ask a Question