Login password

Reaction score
On switching on computer I was surprised to see I was required to enter a password. I have never used a password ever to login in on start up. Checked the bios and that was clear, so on an off chance entered my Microsoft Account and bingo! I was in. However the joy was soon gone when checking calendar, I found all the events gone, and furthermore, all my contacts had disappeared. Mail seems to work Ok though. Tried a system restore and nothing changed. I am awhere there is info about in how I go about deleting the requirement to enter a password, but anyone know what is likely to have happened, and can I get my data back?

Reaction score
If you have never used a password in a "local" account, then simple enter, will suffice to get you to the desktop.
But, here you throw in a wee boomerang - the MS account.
First, how did you log in to earlier OSs? If it was local account, then I would have thought my first sentence would suffice to reestablish your contacts..etc..

Have you, by any chance, disabled the Sync settings?

Reaction score
Just pressing enter still asks for password. before everything booted up to the desktop to in Win 7 and now 10, not had any issues with that before.I am receiving win 10 mail from my two accounts, however as mentioned lost contacts and events from the calendar. In win 10 mail a problem is highlighted with an error code 0x85010014, says cannot sync Hotmail.com. which is puzzling as my accounts are with Sky and Yahoo. Not sure where you disable sync settings in win 10.

Reaction score
Solved!!. Go to window 10 settings/Accounts. Select "login with local account". Log in with the Microsoft account password. I did not want a local account password so left all the fields blank and after pressing "next" the computer rebooted and went straight to desktop. I then found all my contacts and events in the calendar re-appeared. :)

I still have no idea why the need to login in with the Microsoft Account number became a necessity.:(

Reaction score
Only the MS accounjt will sync with items in the cloud, and link with other apps on your computer (people..etc..)

Reaction score
Solved!!. Go to window 10 settings/Accounts. Select "login with local account". Log in with the Microsoft account password. I did not want a local account password so left all the fields blank and after pressing "next" the computer rebooted and went straight to desktop. I then found all my contacts and events in the calendar re-appeared. :)

I still have no idea why the need to login in with the Microsoft Account number became a necessity.:(
with the latest update to windows 10, it is again requiring a password to log in. I have gone to the run cmd prompt and typed in NETPLWIZ and it shows that the box is unchecked. I have checked the box, applied it and then gone back and unchecked the box and applied it. It did take me thru the routine for a password which I left blank. Still requires a password???

Ask a Question