SOLVED Lost My Recycle Bin

Reaction score
I seem to have lost my Recycle Bin on my Desktop, and not even Cortana can help me find it. I've tried many suggested methods, but none seem to work. Any suggestions?

Reaction score
To show or hide the Recycle Bin on the desktop
  1. Click the Start button
    4f6cbd09-148c-4dd8-b1f2-48f232a2fd33_818.jpg
    , type desktop icons into the search box, and then click Show or hide common icons on the desktop.
  2. In the Desktop Icon Settings dialog box, do one of the following:
    • To hide the Recycle Bin, clear the Recycle Bin check box.

• To show the Recycle Bin, select the Recycle Bin check box.
  3. Click OK.

Reaction score
I've tried many suggested methods, but none seem to work

Not only that sentence does not help us solving your issue, it actually creates a problem of its own......... how do we know the suggestions we want to offer have not been tried by you already ?

I'll give you one that you might not have tried........
In the search box next to Start, type folder options > top left, click File explorer options > click View tab at the top > check " Show hidden files, folders and drives " > UN-check " Hide protected operating system files " > click Yes > Apply/OK > exit window.
Open File Explorer > Open C: drive.
At the top of the list will be $Recycle.Bin > right click > click Open > at the top, there is a recycle bin > right click at it > click Send to > click desktop (create shortcut)

You now has a recycle bin shortcut on your desktop.
This is a "shortcut", not the "original" one that used to be at your desktop.

*** Make sure you go back to folder options > View > check the box " Hide protected operating system files" > OK.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Not only that sentence does not help us solving your issue, it actually creates a problem of its own......... how do we know the suggestions we want to offer have not been tried by you already ?

In the search box next to Start, type folder options > top left, click File explorer options > click View tab at the top > check " Show hidden files, folders and drives " > UN-check " Hide protected operating system files " > click Yes > Apply/OK > exit window.
At the top of the list will be $Recycle.Bin > right click > click Open > at the top, there is a recycle bin > right click at it > click Send to > click desktop (create shortcut)

*** Make sure you go back to folder options > View > check the box " Hide protected operating system files" > OK.

WONDERFUL!!! thanks for the help!!!

Reaction score

Thank you so much! Of all the fixes proposed in this forum this was the only one that worked for me.

Reaction score

Thank you very much!! You just saved me a ton of music!! hehe

Reaction score
Davidk129 -

Oh my ! You have saved me also! THANK YOU thank you. THANK YOU! Just follow those directions and it is all there !

Reaction score
Thanks. But it does not allow me to move the file to any other directory saying access denied.

Ask a Question