Lost network after 1803 update

Reaction score
Try going to the Open action center, then All settings and then Network and Internet. On the status page which opens, go down the page to Network Reset in blue and left click it. Tell it you want to reset the network, wait a bit and it will tell you the machine needs to be restarted. Do a restart and your network should be functional once again. After the 1803 update this reset must be performed for the shares to function again.

Al

Reaction score
Try going to the Open action center, then All settings and then Network and Internet. On the status page which opens, go down the page to Network Reset in blue and left click it. Tell it you want to reset the network, wait a bit and it will tell you the machine needs to be restarted. Do a restart and your network should be functional once again. After the 1803 update this reset must be performed for the shares to function again.

Al
Thanks topcat. I've done this. It is only a temporary fix.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Network was working fine before 1803 update.
What Network?
Please be specific.
No internet?
No file sharing?
Sometimes?
All the time?

Can you ping by IP address the inside edge of your gateway?
Can you ping by IP address the outside edge of your gateway?
Can you ping by IP address other network nodes?
Can you ping 4.4.4.1

Reaction score
Does a temporary fix means it worked for a short time after you reset the network?

If so, do a Cortana search for/or open Device Manager. Find your network adapter, right click on it, left click properties and then power management and then uncheck the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".

Reaction score
I have been playing with this today and noticed some things I don't understand. I can reach another system by using the \\192.168.1.77 type path in Explorer but it will not work if I substitute the \\HostName for the IP address.

I do not know if this is an Explorer situation or something involving my Router but it seems Explorer cannot translate the IP address to a HostName. The command in PowerShell can convert the IP address to the HostName.

I am sure everyone can find links such as the one below.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/10741/windows-fix-network-connection-issues

Reaction score
I am still playing with this but for now you might pick some folder on each system and designate it as an Advanced Shared folder. That seems to be the only way I can keep access to folders in one session.

Explorer is still not picking up my other systems except for a NAS.

Reaction score
Does a temporary fix means it worked for a short time after you reset the network?

If so, do a Cortana search for/or open Device Manager. Find your network adapter, right click on it, left click properties and then power management and then uncheck the box "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power".
Temporary fix means lost again after reboot. I do have the box unchecked..

Reaction score
What Network?
Please be specific.
No internet?
No file sharing?
Sometimes?
All the time?

Can you ping by IP address the inside edge of your gateway?
Can you ping by IP address the outside edge of your gateway?
Can you ping by IP address other network nodes?
Can you ping 4.4.4.1
I could see and access the other PCs on my local network before the 1803 update.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
OK, so we're talking about your LAN (Local Area Network) and any broader issues with your network card and or internet connection can be left aside.

First make sure that you are actually sharing something ( a folder ) on each network node, then.....
On all the network computers, right click the start button and choose run and in the run dialog box type
services.msc
hit enter or click OK.
Scroll to "Function Discovery Resource Publication" and double click it.
Set the Startup Type to Automatic and then click the Start Button.

See if that helps with what you can and cannot see

Reaction score
5clint7,

OK, so the network is functioning and the 1803 has been reset. The remaining problem may be that you need to delete the mapped drives on each computer and then map them. Do one computer at a time rather than deleting everything at once.

Reaction score
OK, so we're talking about your LAN (Local Area Network) and any broader issues with your network card and or internet connection can be left aside.

First make sure that you are actually sharing something ( a folder ) on each network node, then.....
On all the network computers, right click the start button and choose run and in the run dialog box type
services.msc
hit enter or click OK.
Scroll to "Function Discovery Resource Publication" and double click it.
Set the Startup Type to Automatic and then click the Start Button.

See if that helps with what you can and cannot see
I've done all that.

Reaction score
I currently have all 5 of my Win 10 systems behaving in this same manner and not showing any other computers. In at least one system, it does not even show the current system. I had one last night which seemed to be normal but after I shut it down, this morning it is behaving the same.

I assume this has to do with removing the Homegroup option and even though I never used it, something else was affected. The Function Discovery does have an effect but does not allow the explorer window to maintain the link to another system. It is funny, after I log onto another system, it shows under the Network listing on the left but does not show in the main window.

Well, I may have been too quick on evaluating the Function discovery. When started on one system, it allows that system to be seen by another system. So it appears they are sticking after the function has been started.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
IDK..... some folks come back and suggest that something or other worked or didn't and then some we never hear from again.
I just passed along something that had worked for me.
To which he responded
I've done all that.
So I assumed it didn't work for him.

A lot of these networking issues are self inflicted problems produced by third party programs or older Operating Systems requiring SMB1.
The fact that MS sometimes decides to tweak the network stack also gives me less faith in any answer that might have worked in the past.

Sometimes I long for the old days of NetBEUI

Reaction score

Ask a Question