Low Disk Space System Backup Drive

Reaction score
I am getting a low disk space message from my system backup drive. It's 1 TB and it is full. There are not any files that I can delete. They are all system files.
Two questions:
1. Why is it so large?
2. Can I install a new larger drive and have it move the system files there?

Reaction score
I am getting a low disk space message from my system backup drive. It's 1 TB and it is full. There are not any files that I can delete. They are all system files.
Two questions:
1. Why is it so large?
2. Can I install a new larger drive and have it move the system files there?
What program are you using to backup these files?

Reaction score
That's part of my problem or misunderstanding. I am not using any program. I assumed it is Windows 10 doing the backup. There are file names like OFFICE2014, WindowsImageBackup, System Volume Information, pagefile.sys etc.
Now looking closer, it appears that the pagefile.sys is huge.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
It sounds to me like, at some point in time you have configured Windows Backup to run on a Schedule. I believe it defaults to weekly and that pretty much exhausts what I know of the native Windows Backup utility as I use Acronis to do disk images manually, myself, when I want them.
You may take some time to read this information here https://www.winhelp.us/configure-automatic-backup-in-windows-7.html as it describes what might be happening and how you might address the issue.

Reaction score
Ding, ding, ding! We have a winner! Evidently, (I think) during Windows 7 install, I turned on automatic system backup. I did notice that most of the files had a 2014 date on them.

Int was odd that most of the instructions of how to get to the backup controls (from various web site) did not work. Cortana might have worked but I have not enabled it. I have heard too many odd stories.

It turned out very easy to get to. Right click on start menu, select Control Panel, and there it is "Backup and Restore (Windows 7)". Yes, in Windows 10 it shows Windows 7 in parenthesis.

Went into the control panel and found out it makes multiple backups of data files. I deleted some of the old data file backups and cleared lots of room.

Thanks Trouble, that was a HUGE help. I think I will hang around this forum more often. There is lots to be learned here!

Ask a Question