Low Memory Warning

Reaction score
I have 4GB of ram in my PC. I keep getting warning message stating I am running low on memory. Any ideas on what hogs I may be running that is eating up memory?....dapster121

Reaction score
What applications are you running during this time, including startup applications running in the background?

It may help if you posted a screenshot of Task Manager sorted by memory processes.

Bif

Reaction score
Could it be that not all of your ram is being recognized?perhaps after 10 upgrade there was a hiccup and it's giving a false reading.Try powering down and remove and reinstall the ram then boot up,see if that makes a difference.
I seriously doubt any program is eating up 4 gigs if ram.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
I keep getting warning message stating I am running low on memory
Sometimes that message can be related to settings you may have made by manually setting your virtual memory (pagefile / swapfile).
Maybe check there and see what it says
Right click the Start Button and choose "System"
From the left column click "Advanced system settings"
On the Advanced tab click the "Settings" button in "Performance"
Select the Advanced tab in the resultant windows dialog box.
In virtual memory click the "Change" button
Typically it should be system managed "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" which is usually satisfactory for most everyone.
Back in the old days, Microsoft used to suggest that the pagefile size allocation should be approximately one and one half times the amount of physical RAM, so if you had 2 Gigs of RAM then your pagefile would be approximately 3 Gigs.
With the new memory management enhancements built into Windows 10, I'm not sure that, that is any longer recommended or even a suggestion.

Are you noticing a great deal of hard disk activity, usually indicated by constant flickering of the hard disk activity light (if the machine has one) or possibly audible if the disk is thrashing a lot.

Reaction score
Sometimes that message can be related to settings you may have made by manually setting your virtual memory (pagefile / swapfile).
Maybe check there and see what it says
Right click the Start Button and choose "System"
From the left column click "Advanced system settings"
On the Advanced tab click the "Settings" button in "Performance"
Select the Advanced tab in the resultant windows dialog box.
In virtual memory click the "Change" button
Typically it should be system managed "Automatically manage paging file size for all drives" which is usually satisfactory for most everyone.
Back in the old days, Microsoft used to suggest that the pagefile size allocation should be approximately one and one half times the amount of physical RAM, so if you had 2 Gigs of RAM then your pagefile would be approximately 3 Gigs.
With the new memory management enhancements built into Windows 10, I'm not sure that, that is any longer recommended or even a suggestion.

Are you noticing a great deal of hard disk activity, usually indicated by constant flickering of the hard disk activity light (if the machine has one) or possibly audible if the disk is thrashing a lot.

...Have already changed RAM to match recommended pagefile number.

Reaction score
What applications are you running during this time, including startup applications running in the background?

It may help if you posted a screenshot of Task Manager sorted by memory processes.
Attached is a screenshot of background running apps. note IE. why?....dapster121
upload_2015-11-14_8-22-14.png

Reaction score
...Have already changed RAM to match recommended pagefile number.
I did the same thing ...changed Virtual Memory to recommended setting. Then I got the error, "Windows is running low on Memory". So... I changed it back to System Managed size, and then rechecked the tick box for "Automatically let Windows manage paging file for all drives." I have 6 gigs of memory and I really think a lot less of Windows 10 because of this. I really want to use my 6 gigs of memory and wean off the paging file for good!

Ask a Question