SOLVED Mail and Calendar app won't launch

Reaction score
Hi,

I have a weird issue. My mail and calendar app will not launch.

This started happening on Friday 7 August 2015 after the first cumulative update. I am on Windows 10 Home 64 bit. I have a Sony Vaio laptop and my installation is an upgrade from Windows 7 Home.

Out of all my apps it's only these 2. I click on the icon and nothing happens. It won't load and then fail, it just doesn't do anything. Another weird behavior I am noticing is that when I right click the icon for Mail or Calendar (it happens on both) the option to "pin to taskbar" has gone. Pin to start is there. This is the only app this happens on.

The other thing which is happening if in the Event Viewer under "Applications and Services Log/Microsoft/Windows/Apps/Microsoft-Windows-TWinUI/Operational" where app launching is logged.....instead of it saying:

The app microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps_8wekyb3d8bbwe!microsoft.windowslive.mail was activated for the Windows.Launch contract successfully.

it says:

The app Microsoft.Windows.Cortana_cw5n1h2txyewy!CortanaUI was activated for the Windows.Launch contract successfully.I have tried WSRESET, and also "Get-AppxPackage *communi* | Remove-AppXPackage" reboot, and then reinstall Mail and Calendar app.Any help would be so appreciated
001.png

Reaction score
I have the same issue. I'm running Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Just started recently too. Outlook (the office version) works fine. Very annoying. Just hangs at the splash screen. Tried a reboot, but noting.

Reaction score
ok this works. There must have been an update as the install file has changed from under 179 mb to 180 mb:

1.Open the Start menu, type Windows PowerShell in the search bar.

2.Right click on the Windows PowerShell and select Run as administrator.

3.Enter the below command to reinstall the Mail and calendar app.

get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

After performing the above steps, install the Mail and calendar app form the Windows store.

Reaction score
No luck for me. :( Powershell command just says 'Initialized' does nothing else. Mail and Calendar are still installed and not working.

Reaction score
I'm in the same boat. Troubleshooters don't help. WSReset doesn't help. The PowerShell command to refresh the core apps and the command to remove the Mail and Calendar app all hang with the 'Initialized' status and never completes. All of the Windows Store updates are stalled and will not download. Clicking the Calendar icon in start menu just brings up the splash screen. Clicking the Mail icon in the start menu brings up my mail and shows current list of emails so it is apparently synching. However, clicking on an email or any of the options on the left of the window does nothing. Can only close the app.

Any other suggestions out there?

Reaction score
Ok, I got mine working. But I don't think I did anything to fix it. I tried installing updates but it failed twice. I checked the windows store and apps were updating now for some reason.
IMG_20150812_181050.jpg

Maybe just try updating the OS like I did and whether it says it works or not, it could fix itself like it did for me.

Reaction score
Just found another thread with a similar issue and someone suggested uninstalling the Get Skype app. So I right-clicked it in the start menu and selected Uninstall. It did not go away from the start menu, didn't seem like it did anything. I restarted the computer anyway and it was gone. I went back to the Windows Store app and checked the updates and they were no longer stalled. All the updates downloaded and installed successfully. I then launched Mail and it came right up. The Get Skype app must have some serious issues.

Ram

Reaction score
I tried
get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage

But it returned these errors in red.

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32> get-appxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage
remove-appxpackage : Deployment failed with HRESULT: 0x80073CF6, Package could not be registered.
error 0x80070003: Reading manifest from location: AppxManifest.xml failed with error: The system cannot find the path
specified.
NOTE: For additional information, look for [ActivityId] 3a6c68e3-d739-0000-29b1-6c3a39d7d001 in the Event Log or use
the command line Get-AppxLog -ActivityID 3a6c68e3-d739-0000-29b1-6c3a39d7d001
At line:1 char:57
+ ... ppxpackage *microsoft.windowscommunicationsapps* | remove-appxpackage
+ ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
+ CategoryInfo : WriteError: (microsoft.windo...__8wekyb3d8bbwe:String) [Remove-AppxPackage], IOException
+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : DeploymentError,Microsoft.Windows.Appx.PackageManager.Commands.RemoveAppxPackageCommand

PS C:\WINDOWS\system32>

Any other way to get these apps working?
My 'Store' app also ends in splash screen :-(

Reaction score
Same problem and none of above solved this. Update tries to download Mail and Calendar app, starts installing, then returns error: "Well this is embarrassing - can't find app" and gives up

Ask a Question