Mail app showing unread mail (in tile) when all mail is read

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
some one has to have a fix for this ongoing problem I have tried
1) resetting that requires re establishing all my email accounts for a while works then it comes back
2) checking app store no up date for mail app
3) I go to feed back ask for fix , eventually one comes

There has to be a folder some where that is holding a email that is read that its says is unread , I can not find. Believe me I have tried all I can think of. I would like to end 2020 with a fix for this app.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
all boxes are empty I have three email accounts on the Mail app , I checked all three.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
when I ask feed back for mail to fix , it gets fixed sure would like to know what they do to fix it.
I then went back to one accounts one box that is labeled bulk or spam had a bunch of things in it from current to months ago I emptied that folder , lets see if that finally fixes it.

Reaction score
Check these folders: Junk/Spam, All Mails, Sent, Archive & Deleted/Trash folders.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Check these folders: Junk/Spam, All Mails, Sent, Archive & Deleted/Trash folders.
Great advice....but....with the mail app there is no trash or junk folders. That said one has to use a web browser and go to outlook.com and check all the folders that way. It's why I hate those so called MS apps....as they are not the full blown software we're used to.

It's a messed up system if you ask me....I'm to the point where I'm going to have to find an actual email client (3rd party software) to check my email accounts. I have Office 2016 Pro Plus.....but I don't need all that office crap that goes with it. The only 2 pieces of software that I use on a regular basis is Word and Outlook from the office suite.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
When Mail app from Win10 stutters I use Flow mail its a free-bee you can tie many accounts too it like Mail app. But it does not have calendar or Contact software. I just do not know what Map App keeps messing up , why can FEED BACK fix it and I can not find how.
Lets see next time read email is shown as unread , by cleaning out the Spam or bulk folder fixes it like I did or did feed back fix it, again.

Reaction score
quote. "Great advice....but....with the mail app there is no trash or junk folders."

Are we all talking about the built in Mail?

1609048317836.png

or Outlook 2016:
quote;" That said one has to use a web browser and go to outlook.com and check all the folders that way. It's why I hate those so called MS apps....as they are not the full blown software we're used to."

Outlook 2016:
1609050567157.png

I cannot, for the moment, think of anything else I would want in a mail program - it even has a popout schedule calendar. It As with most desktop mail Apps, it goes out to the internet mail(Outlook) and fetches anything there automatically.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Michael. If it suits you, try turning off the notification for Mail in the settings. Doesn't solve your problem. but stops the nag
I don't us Flowmail, but, after perusing it, I don't quite see any extra advantage in having it. But, have you tried signing in to flow mail and saving the password? That may also be a reason for the nag.

Last edited:
Reaction score
The folder should be there, you may need to scroll down to the account & check that.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
I see it labeled differently SBC mail and others can call it JUNK , BULK or SPAM. So when I see unread mail that I say I have read all by emptied these files I will see if that is the problem.
At times the people , calendar and mail apps are not sync'd these same files could be the issue there.
At least on mail service SBC if you right click the email a pop up , pops up saying " block sender" which I do. I have been finding in JUNK , BULK or SPAM. a ton of FREE gift cards for my opinion deleting or blocking all of those could be another source of spam or malware.
have a Great day stay safe get your shot when its available.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I've yet to see it in my Mail app and I've been using it years now. It's not there as a whole or in an individual email account. So I don't how you're seeing it davehc.....or I'm just missing something for all these years of use. Hell, I don't even see the "All Folders" in your first attachment.

At the bottom of the left side I see "get premium outlook features" but that requires a subscription to MS 365 as MS keeps renaming the subscription service. If you have that, that may be the difference there.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I cannot give you a walkthrough, as I amnot near my computer at the moment, but, for me, without any modification, it has always there?

Last edited:

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
Well I have cleared junk , bulk and spam folders still the Mail app says I have unread mail when all has been read ? Now what

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
I cannot give you a walkthrough, as I amnot near my computer at the moment, but, for me, without any modification, it has always there?
Well I think I found the problem for me. I use the "LINK" my accounts....and in doing so there is no of those folders from your attachments. So I unlinked them and BINGO! There they are. So all these years......go figure.

Michael Bell

Mickey B
Reaction score
So far today no miss results on tile on start screen says all read . It was that way all today after I asked who ever man's feed back Forman to fix issue. I have been manually looking threw all folders for three email accounts of which two had items on folders. I deleted want I found the ones in SBC account I can block senders , this could be the one and only account that is messing things up.
I wish I could confirm what is causing issues seems having to do manually is going to be a pain till app can be fixed.
Thanks for your efforts

Ask a Question