Mail Tile Views

Reaction score
I have 5 email addresses. When I click on Accounts in the Mail Tile I have to click on each account to find unread mail.

Isn't there a way to show all email accounts in one pane with unread mail noted or do you simply have to work your way through all five "Accounts".

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Aaahhhh. Someone else with as many email accounts as me and someone else who has also found that the mail app sucks.
I don't think that these new "Universal Apps" were ever intended as a substitute for a real, robust, full featured mail client.
I think they were more intended for a quick and dirty, on-the-go look, in a mobile environment (phone or tablet) at a single account type situation .... and they are absolutely fine for that.
Personally, I'll stick with Outlook where I can configure my various accounts as I want.

Reaction score
Aaahhhh. Someone else with as many email accounts as me and someone else who has also found that the mail app sucks.
I don't think that these new "Universal Apps" were ever intended as a substitute for a real, robust, full featured mail client.
I think they were more intended for a quick and dirty, on-the-go look, in a mobile environment (phone or tablet) at a single account type situation .... and they are absolutely fine for that.
Personally, I'll stick with Outlook where I can configure my various accounts as I want.

Thanks Trouble...I like your User Name as well as your response :)

Reaction score
OK - but even the Outlook and Gmail android apps now display all accounts if set-up with them in their settings..

But that reminds me of an Outlook issue I have that maybe you can answer ..

I have been an Outlook user for as long as I can remember - I have six machines now and it runs on all
of them - I have 3 emails accts with 1 provider, several with Outlook.com and Gmail and all are set-up on
all the machines to collect all my emails - 1 machine I consider a master account and when it downloads
it removes the copy from the server (with the exception of Gmail and Outlook.com - which as you will see later
is a part of the problem).

Now - I see no way in Outlook to create an independent folder to store downloaded emails. You can add
accounts and it will create a file for each (or 1 for all I think). So what I have done over the years is
create a zillion sub folders under my primary email (and ISP) for clients/ companies/ subscription/ personal
and all email from whatever source finds its way somewhere there (if not deleted) etc - I routinely export
stuff to files so I can remove from Outlook but its still huge at more than 2GB.

Now the problem I face ... I am leaving the ISP I have been with for almost 30 years.. and hence the accounts that
Outlook searches with that provider will cease to exist - in itself I dont think thats a problem - the pst files
outlook has created will persist - I will just get connection erros in perpetuity I would assume - but not lose my
emails or my structure - though not absolutely certain of this.

So - to avoid this I thought - maybe I can move the folders to one of my other accounts - I tried Outlook.com first
and assume Gmail would be the same - and the issue is its a different type of account and it wants to upload
ALL my email and folders etc - well 2GB is a mild problem with them and whats more - I dont want my emails with them ..

so I had to stop that process - no small effort then remove all the files and folders that managed to upload before
I realized what I was doing ..

So is there a way to create an account or folder in Outlook NOT linked to a specific provider account where I can move all my mail (folder and subfolders) to - maybe this is simple - but I cant see it - I have never needed this before .

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
So is there a way to create an account or folder in Outlook NOT linked to a specific provider account where I can move all my mail (folder and subfolders) to - maybe this is simple - but I cant see it - I have never needed this before .
Not that I am aware of.
If it was me, I would just switch one of my other accounts from IMAP to POP and use that as my primary account.
I have 3 accounts that are configured as POP (Gmail, Comcast and Hotmail) all sharing a common .PST and one configured as IMAP (Outlook.com) with its' own .OST
I could add or subtract a POP account from outlook without impacting my folder hierarchy (mine is similar to yours), but as far as I know it has to be a real, working serviceable account.
You just need to make sure early on when you configure (manually) the new account you choose "use an existing Outlook Data File" and point it at the one your soon to be X account is using.

Ask a Question