SOLVED Major Hardware upgrade and windows 10...

Reaction score
Not a help request, but a review of the process...
ico24.gif

I decided my aging computer (8+ years old) computer needed a rebuild to run windows 10 anniversary build properly (10 was using 3GB of the 4 GB of ram, and couldn't get any DDR2 memory to increase it to 8GB)

It's my 'general purpose' computer, not used for gaming, photo editing, etc... Just web browsing, email, etc.

I needed new MB, new CPU, 8-16 GB ram, and new PSU.

New MB is ASUS B150M-A

New CPU is Intel i5 6400 2.7GHZ LGA1151 4 core.

Ram is 16GB Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 (4x4GB)

PSU is Cooler Master V-series 650 Gold fully modular.

Total cost $754 NZ$ from PB Tech.

Keeping the Cooler Master case, 2 SSD's and 2 HD's already installed.

Decided NOT to do any unboxing videos for You Tube.
ico25.gif

Downloaded instructions on how to do clean install of Windows 10 anniversary edition after major hardware changes.

Downloaded and burned bootable DVD of Windows 10 for the reinstall.

Checked to make sure I had the valid/correct licence keys for Windows 10 (if needed), for Macrium Reflect, Avast Internet Security, and Malware Bytes.

Rebuild took about an hour to remove old hardware and install new hardware.

First Boot went OK, and opened the bios to configure it. All I had to do was update the date and time and disable the ASUS Logo screen.

Rebooted again, to see if it was OK.

It was, Bios Info screen listing hardware appeared, then disappeared to black screen for about 15 seconds.

Then a message popped up saying new CPU detected. WTF???? Whats this????

Then the Windows 10 "We're getting a few things ready screen appeared. Why is it doing that?????

Lots of HD activity....

Then the Windows 10 logo and spinner appeared.

Then the logon screen appeared. I decided to try and logon and see what would happen.

My Microsoft account password was accepted and it proceeded to log me on...

My desktop appeared, and **Everything** was there! all my programme shortcuts, desk top wall paper, etc, like I hadn't changed anything. No error messages, installing hardware, installing drivers, etc...

First check: Control Panel/Hardware manager: No conflicts, failed hardware, etc.

Started Speccy and it showed all the new hardware.

Avast had started as normal, started Macrium Reflect and it started OK with all my Backups listed. Malware bytes was running as well.

The only problems I had was no network, and Windows 10 needed to be reactivated. (both expected)

The network and Internet access problem was easily fixed by updating my router with the new MAC address for the new MB Gbit Lan.

Next step try to activate Windows 10 as per the instructions I had downloaded.

That failed with the Microsoft error message "None of our Activation Servers are available right now, please try again later." Tried later, same error message.

Went to the "More Help/Contact Us web page" and it had an option to request a call from Microsoft Support. Was advised I would be called back in one minute after entering my phone number.

10 seconds later my phone rang, automated voice said, "Please Hold for our service representative"

They came on the line and I explained why I was calling and about the activation error message. She then said OK I'll need to have remote access to your Computer to check some things. Gave her access, and she then ran some commands, then said OK, because of your hardware upgrades I'll need to generate, load, and activate a new licence key for you, you will not be charged for this call or the new Licence Key. Five minute later that had been completed, and she provided me with my new licence key with a reactivated OS.

So for me the rebuild of this computer was completely painless and trouble free.
ico24.gif

Reaction score
Did you at any time make use of the Activation Troubleshooter? I have seen some postings if you have a Microsoft Account associated with an install that upgrading hardware will be allowed and the troubleshooter should be able to work through it.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Then a message popped up saying new CPU detected. WTF???? Whats this????
This because you moved you HDD/SSD over with OS all ready installed and running....the OS detected new CPU.

Then the Windows 10 "We're getting a few things ready screen appeared. Why is it doing that?????

Lots of HD activity
This is happening because by default, windows 10 searches for and installs all necessary hardware drivers.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Hello MaxLV and welcome to the forum.
Thanks for your post and sharing your experience with us, much appreciated.
All I can say is ..... WOW, an excellent outcome. Microsoft has made claims that they have made re-activation easier following a hardware upgrade and apparently they have.

Reaction score
Did you at any time make use of the Activation Troubleshooter? I have seen some postings if you have a Microsoft Account associated with an install that upgrading hardware will be allowed and the troubleshooter should be able to work through it.

Yes. The instructions I downloaded said to use the trouble shooter if reactivation failed. It was in the trouble shooter process that I got the error about the activation servers not being available. I had also made sure my Microsoft account was associated with the Windows 10 licence key before I started the upgrade.

Reaction score
This because you moved you HDD/SSD over with OS all ready installed and running....the OS detected new CPU.

This is happening because by default, windows 10 searches for and installs all necessary hardware drivers.

OK. Everything I had read on the Internet about doing a Motherboard/CPU/Memory upgrade led me to believe I would have to do a clean install of Windows because the existing install wouldn't recognise or work on the new hardware, or at the very least have major problems with the new hardware, and a clean install was the best way to go to avoid any such problems,

Ask a Question