Make a bootable macOS USB on Windows 10 PC

Reaction score
My wife's Mac was broken and can not get into the system. It is the only Mac we have at home. I did my own research and currently using TransMac Trial as most people suggest. However, I am unable to get it working. It keeps popping up this error: Can not write to Mac volume.

Reaction score
Don't have a solution but will say there are issues between the format Mac OS X or the newer macOS and Windows so it be necessary to use FAT32 formatting if given that choice. Most USB Thumb drives come factory-formatted as FAT32 up through 64GB, haven't checked what the 128GB and larger have. Windows can't create/format larger than 32GB but can use it if done on Linux or using GPARTED. Windows can have problems working with the Mac or Linux formatting. Mac OS X had issues writing NTFS but could read it, can't say about the newer macOS as mine died just as it came out a year or two ago.

Reaction score
Yeah, the USB is formatted to exFAT by default. However, I re-formatted it to FAT32. The same error appears again. it is really weird.

Reaction score
I have heard a lot of people who have used TransMac complain about it.Why do people still use it for work?Try MacDrive,in my opinion,it will be more helpful than TransMac.

Reaction score
From my understanding, MacDrive is unable to burn dmg file. It is designed for mounting Mac disk on Windows. it is two different things

Reaction score
Try this settings if the Transmac doesn’t work.

1) Right click on the transmac icon on your desktop-select properties

2) Select tab "compatibility mode" and tick "run this program in compatibility mode for”.

3) Find "privilege level" tick the box -" run this program as an administrator.

Reaction score
Try this settings if the Transmac doesn’t work.

1) Right click on the transmac icon on your desktop-select properties

2) Select tab "compatibility mode" and tick "run this program in compatibility mode for”.

3) Find "privilege level" tick the box -" run this program as an administrator.

if these settings are still working, try some other toos to create a bootable usb from macOS, like etcher, rufus, UltraDMG.

Reaction score
Balena etcher is the ultimate solution for creating USB bootable for mac
An issue may be that the OP didn't say which version of Macintosh is involved, Mac OS X or the newer macOS. This is according to https://balenaetcher.org/

1705515350390.png

Ask a Question