Many Problems after Win 7 to 10 Upgrade

Reaction score
Kept getting messages to upgrade to 10 but I very much liked Win 7 and everything was operating just fine. Two days ago something happened and before I knew it my PC was "updating" - read installing Win 10....... not by my conscious choice.

I'm about as frustrated as I can be with the Free Win 10 upgrade. This is what is occurring:

1. Horribly slow to load,
2. Can only right click Start button - cannot access Start Menu and programs.
3. Cortana does not work.
4. Cannot access Settings using any regular method.
5. Internet does not work.
6. No desktop Display.

I do have another Win 7 OS on the hard drive and am able to load and use it. However, it contains zero programs so its basically useless.

I searched for solutions and tried many things but nothing works. I downloaded the Win 10 ISO files from Microsoft and was going to attempt a reinstall but there were errors in the download. With access only to limited data via a satellite connection, this just compounds the problem.

I would like to fix the Win 10 installation, but if that is not possible I want to revert back to Win 7. However, if Settings is not accessible I don't know how to do that.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
1. Horribly slow to load,
It shouldn't be, but it can take some time before it gets itself sorted out and possibly a couple reboots as well.
You can always try clean booting the system and see if that has any impact on the performance issue.
https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/929135

Easily done, easily undone.
Basically you're just disabling all the Startup Items and All non-Microsoft services.
Be sure to check the box to hide Microsoft Services, as you don't want to accidentally disable any of those.
2. Can only right click Start button - cannot access Start Menu and programs.
3. Cortana does not work.
4. Cannot access Settings using any regular method.
You can experiment with a new user account to see if the problem is unique to your profile
Go to
C:\Windows\System32
Find
Cmd.exe
Right click it and choose run as administrator
At the admin command prompt type
net user JohnSmith /add
hit enter
then type
net localgroup administrators JohnSmith /add
hit enter
type
exit
hit enter
Restart and log in as JohnSmith
5. Internet does not work.
Check device manager, see if there are any problem devices in the list. See if there is an update available for the network adapter you are using.
6. No desktop Display.
Not too sure about what you mean with this one. It could be that either you have "use start full screen" or you have tablet mode toggled on.

Reaction score
Thank you.

When I click Find in System 32, the window opens and closes in a millisecond, thus not allowing me to find the Cmd.exe file........?.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, Mike.

Right click the taskbar and select Task Manager--File--Run New Task. Type powershell into the box that appears and select the box giving you Administrator Privileges, and then hit Enter. PowerShell will take a few seconds to load. When it does , type sfc /scannow into the command line. That will take about an hour and a half.

Doing this will correct corrupted files. It should make both the Start Button and Cortana start working.

Reaction score
Thank you, again.

I had previously done this as one of the many actions I've taken over the past 2 days. But, I tried it again.

Once completed: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

Reaction score
Okay, Mike, try this:

Folks, so many people are having trouble with the Start Button not working in Windows 10, that I have assembled all the various cures. None of them will work every time, but there’s a good chance that one of them will.

1) Go to this web page http://home.bt.com/tech-gadgets/computing/has-your-windows-10-start-menu-stopped-working-here-are-four-ways-to-fix-it-11364000314532 to learn how to use PowerShell (a built-in Windows utility that you already have) to fix it. His first two ideas are pretty good. Don’t do his more drastic solutions, though, until you try these other ones.

2) Uninstall your anti-virus program and re-install it.

3) Simply use the Windows key (between the Ctrl and Alt keys) instead

4) Type “Classic Shell” into a search engine and install it. It is a free Start Button that works great.

5) Use System Restore

On its official site, Microsoft recommends:

Method 1:
1 Open run command. (Windows logo + r)
2. type regedit and press enter.
3. click ok when notification window prompt.
4. Go to HKEY_CURRENT_USER>Software>Microsoft>Windows>CurrentVersion>Explorer>Advance
5. Create a Dword with name ‘EnableXamlStartMenu’.
6. Give it value 0
7. Log off and login again.

If it still doesn't work try these methods.

Method 2:

I would suggest you to try ‘sfc scan’ if you haven’t tried it yet.

Let’s use the System File Checker (SFC) tool to see if it can find any missing or corrupted system files. If so, it will attempt to repair and/or replace them. Follow these steps:

1. Press Windows +x

2. Select command prompt admin.

3. At the command prompt type “sfc /scannow” (no quotes), and then press ENTER

Method 3:

1. Press Windows + x

2. Select command prompt admin.

3. Type dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth

4. Reboot PC.

MS Troubleshoot also has recommendations at http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-10/get-help-windows-start-menu

Reaction score
Thank you, again.

I had previously done this as one of the many actions I've taken over the past 2 days. But, I tried it again.

Once completed: "Windows Resource Protection did not find any integrity violations."

I was finally able to get into Settings...... Opened Personalization in Control Panel and saw Settings icon and clicked it. Then able to Recover Windows 7 which I did. Everything seems to be back to normal.

Not sure when I will try to download/install Windows 10, again.

Thank you

Ask a Question