MBR to GTP conversion, still can't access large capacity HDs

Reaction score
Hey folks. I could use some help on getting windows 10 to recognize a few large capacity hard drives.

For some reason, these drives while acknowledged by windows are not accessible.
Each of these drives are 4TB drives, which were at one time housed and used as external hard drives.
They have been removed from their housing and are now installed as internal drives.
While they were USB external drives, once extracted from the housing, they are just regular
SATA drives, with a SATA to USB adapter enclosed in the housing.

THEY BOTH HAVE DATA, WHICH, OF COURSE, I WANT TO KEEP!

In my investigation, I know, windows, has problems dealing with HDs, with capacities over 2TB and
a conversion from MBR to GPT is necessary for the system to use larger HD's.

In this case, I downloaded a partition management program called easeUS, which claimed to do the conversion,
while maintaining the integrity of your data. While it showed the conversion of MBR to GYP, as successful,
the partitions and data are not accessible.

I also read, that simply, by going into the DISK Manager, a simple change or assignment of a drive letter
can sometimes help.

I have tried both of these remedies, with no success. While the drives are now converted successfully to GPT,
they still remain in disarray. Each drive should contain two partisions, one FAT32 of just 100MB apprx.
and the other partition, using, the remainder of the drive.

At this point, these drives show 2 partitions(1st is listed as Unformated and the 2nd is showing unallowcated.

Any help or ideas?

Reaction score
I suppose a couple of points. The fact it has a FAT32 100 MB partition makes it look like an installation of some type, possibly Windows 10 go. Also, in some of the large external hard drives, certain types of software was used to make the entire drive accessible.

EaseUS may not have dealt with this correctly. Can you use Diskpart and get us a Detail of the drive?

If you don't know how, open an Administrative command prompt and type diskpart. then the commands below, one at a time. Copy and paste the readout in your response.

lis dis
sel dis X
det dis

DISKPART> lis dis

Disk ### Status Size Free Dyn Gpt
-------- ------------- ------- ------- --- ---
Disk 0 Online 238 GB 85 GB *
Disk 1 Online 1863 GB 1024 KB *
Disk 2 Online 223 GB 1024 KB *

DISKPART> sel dis 1

Disk 1 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> det dis

WDC WD20EURS-63S48Y0 ATA Device
Disk ID: {08FAAC24-8136-4F17-B09F-3E024B825B68}
Type : SATA
Path : 1
Target : 0
LUN ID : 0
Location Path : PCIROOT(0)#PCI(1104)#ATA(C01T00L00)
Current Read-only State : No
Read-only : No
Boot Disk : No
Pagefile Disk : No
Hibernation File Disk : No
Crashdump Disk : No
Clustered Disk : No

Volume ### Ltr Label Fs Type Size Status Info
---------- --- ----------- ----- ---------- ------- --------- --------
Volume 5 F Data NTFS Partition 488 GB Healthy
Volume 6 K Video NTFS Partition 588 GB Healthy
Volume 7 I Rabbit Imag NTFS Partition 400 GB Healthy
Volume 8 J W10_Rabbit NTFS Partition 385 GB Healthy

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Each of these drives are 4TB drives, which were at one time housed and used as external hard drives.
They have been removed from their housing and are now installed as internal drives.
Were they each in an individual enclosure are were they in a single enclosure and configured as a raid array?

Ask a Question