Media Player

Reaction score
Media Player is just a piece of junk software. I have a USB drive hooked to my computer with more than a 100 .wav files and WMP won't let me play them. Other second party software works, though.

Reaction score
Which media player?

As a work around.....convert your .wav file to mp3.
I'm only aware of one "Media Player"(capitalized), and that's Window's Media Player. Yes, VLC media player will play the .wav files that are on the USB thumb drive that Window's Media Player will not play. Other media players that I've tried will play the files individually, but Window's Media Player will not play the files unless I right click on the files in File Explorer and select Window's Media Player to open the files. Ridiculous. I shouldn't have to use a 'work around' in the most widely used operating system in the world.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
Media Player and Windows Media Player are 2 very different programs.....it's why I asked. In Windows 10, the new music player is a app called "Groove". It's set as the default player. If you're using the old style music player from windows 7, callled "Windows Media Player" as the default. Change it back and set up Groove to use and set it as default player.

Ridiculous. I shouldn't have to use a 'work around' in the most widely used operating system in the world.
A work around is just a temporary fix....just so you can play your .wav files.

WMP is being phased out and keeping up with all the audio codex for an old player is not worth it. Especially since MS is moving to this App layout.

Reaction score
Media Player and Windows Media Player are 2 very different programs.....it's why I asked. In Windows 10, the new music player is a app called "Groove". It's set as the default player. If you're using the old style music player from windows 7, callled "Windows Media Player" as the default. Change it back and set up Groove to use and set it as default player.

WMP is being phased out and keeping up with all the audio codex for an old player is not worth it. Especially since MS is moving to this App layout.

As far as I have been able to ascertain, Groove, unlike the several other players I have used, and still use occasionally, hasn't the ability to navigate, through a browser, to a specific folder or file. It insists that everything be set up in playlists. It seems nonsensical to me to set up a play list every time I want to play one song. Since I have more than a thousand songs on my computer, I also don't like that Groove automatically puts all songs on my computer into a playlist called 'My Music', which I know can be sorted by Album or Artist, but even then, it still won't let me navigate to a USB drive to play music.

As I said in the beginning, something prevents me from doing so in Windows Media Play, too. I know for a fact that I have done it in the past, because that is the way I have done it for many years.

bassfisher6522

Reaction score
hasn't the ability to navigate, through a browser,
I don't know of any music player that does that. A player is just a digital device, like your home stereo. It can't interact with any other device. Same for these digital music players. They just pull all the songs from where ever they are on the PC....if you allow it to.

I've been using Groove for the last year.....it's not once set up a play list. It just added all my music from my music folder as a whole from A to Z. All I do is enable shuffle and click play.

Where did you download the .wav files from? What ever software you used to do that.....check to make sure you're downloading in the mp3 file format. That will solve everything.

As a test; if you wouldn't mind. Attach one of the .wav music files (song) that does't work on WMP. I'll fire up my WMP on my PC and see if it plays.

Reaction score
I find that very confusing. Every music player and every piece of recording software that I've used in the last 20 years lets me use the File dropdown menu to navigate to any storage device on my system, select a file and play it back in whatever player I select. Windows Media Player used to allow the same thing from it's home screen by just selecting 'Other media'. I didn't download any of the .wav files. I have created and used them for years on multiple Windows and Unix based computer systems.

And, I'm not saying that Windows Media Player won't play .wav files. Because, I can navigate to any .wav file on my system using Windows File Explorer, Right click on it and select Windows Media Player from the several players on my computer and it will play it. I'm just saying that I can no longer go to any file on any storage device on my system the way I used to. And, it doesn't matter what the file format is. I see no purpose in converting lossless .wave files to .mp3 format in order to save storage space. I have a 2 Terabyte HD and storage space is very cheap.

Reaction score
Best media player Pot Player 64 bit, last week saw foreign movie with Jackie Chan on dvd and the old cyber link player that came with LG dvd/blue ray player could not detect the English version or the VLC player either but Pot Player can detect foreign and English language it has too many features to describe here. The MS media player is not even in the top 10.

Ask a Question