Microsoft Account Or Local Account

Reaction score
I have a Microsoft account but decided to set up this install of Win10 with just a local name and password. I have a small smart phone but only use it for an occasional text message or phone call. I don't use cloud storage or any on line stuff so I don't need to sync anything or be signed into Microsoft. My other computer with Win10 is set up with my Microsoft account because I thought I had to do that with the TP edition and I get the feeling that Microsoft is constantly looking over my shoulder. Maybe I'm just being paranoid.

A while ago on this machine with the local account I was going to check in on the insider's and feedback pages. I was promptly asked to sign in with a Microsoft account and started the routine thinking I'd just check in, look around and leave. After going through all the security stuff of entering my local password, entering my Microsoft account name and password, and having to get a security code emailed to me I was advised that my current, local account was being changed to a Microsoft account. I clicked cancel and backed out of everything. It just struck me that Microsoft wants access to my computer by making me use an MS account. Maybe I'm just being paranoid but I'd like to just be able to sign in like I do any other on line site. What have you all done as far as setting up your accounts?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Maybe I'm just being paranoid.
It may not actually be paranoia if someone is watching.
Open Project Spartan and click the settings (hamburger icon) menu.
Scroll down a bit to "Services" and you'll see.....
Services
These services share your browsing history and keystrokes
with Microsoft to help improve products and services.
The keystrokes bit bothers me the most.

Reaction score
Pope Cigarettes !!! (Holy Smokes). I haven't been using Spartan so hadn't noticed the data collection stuff. Clicked on the Learn More link and the information in there upped my paranoia level several notches. I'm not sure I'll ever use Spartan.

Data We Collect
Microsoft collects many kinds of information in a variety of ways to operate effectively and provide you the best products, services and experiences. We may combine this data with information that is linked to your user ID, such as information associated with your Microsoft account.

When you acquire, install and use the Program software and services, Microsoft collects information about your use of the software and services as well as about the devices and networks on which they operate. Examples of data we may collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; location, browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; voice, text and writing input; and application usage. For example, when you:

• install or use Program software and services, we may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility (e.g., to help devices and apps work together),

• when you use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing (e.g., to help the service better translate speech into text),

• when you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes to use it for purposes such as improving performance (e.g., to help retrieve documents more quickly), or

• when you input text, handwrite notes, or ink comments, we may collect samples of your input to improve these input features, (e.g., to help improve the accuracy of autocomplete and spellcheck).

Reaction score
Not trying to be contrary, here, but, it was a free choice to be involved in the Windows 10 test phase.
You agreed to this, merely be participating:

"Microsoft collects many kinds of information in a variety of ways to operate effectively and provide you the best products, services and experiences. We may combine this data with information that is linked to your user ID, such as information associated with your Microsoft account.

When you acquire, install and use the Program software and services, Microsoft collects information about your use of the software and services as well as about the devices and networks on which they operate. Examples of data we may collect include your name, email address, preferences and interests; location, browsing, search and file history; phone call and SMS data; device configuration and sensor data; voice, text and writing input; and application usage."

More, if you are interested:

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/preview-privacy-statement

Reaction score
I'm quite well aware of what I agreed to with the download and testing of the technical preview and I don't have a problem with it. What concerns me though is that it looks like the data gathering process will be standard operating procedure beyond the preview phase. While I am in no way involved in any activity of a criminal nature or any other activity that anyone would have any interest in it bugs me that Microsoft wants to see and know what I'm doing under the pretext of improving their service and products. Microsoft's own testing labs should be sufficient to provide statistics on how their programs are working and looking in on what I'm doing isn't necessary. Computers, cell phones and all manner of electronic devices have become an indispensable part of our daily lives and dispensing with them would be near impossible. I can limit the data I expose during the testing phase by using another computer but when Windows 10 and Spartan goes mainstream I'll need to return to normal day to day use and it disturbs me knowing that Microsoft is watching and collecting. A hack attack on Microsoft's computers could be disastrous.

Reaction score
I am sure that the danger exists, with whatever browser, or connection, you may have with the internet. Google is currently in the news for the same thing.
But, Trouble was referring to the issue of logging keystrokes. I am sure this is only during the test phase of Spartan. I cannot confirm it, as , for the time being at least, I am perfectly happy with a combination of IE and Chrome. Straying a little from the thread, For my internet use, I don't anticipate that at any time in the future, I will stray from my own usage.

Reaction score
I've used Firefox for about as long as I can remember so I probably won't change either unless another browser has some significant improvement. I've tried all the other browsers but keep returning to Firefox since I'm so familiar with it and the others don't offer any reason to switch.

Ask a Question