Microsoft Outlook Question

Reaction score
Can you move the default location of a *.pst datafile in Outlook (think I am running 2016) .. by accessing

File
Account Settings
Account Settings
Data Files
->Highlight the datafile
Settings
-> and then change the 'file location' field
???

I want to move (not the primary, but a secondary data file) out of the 'USERS' directory to a location common
to all my computers - so when Outlook is opened - that secondary .pst file is always current?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Not absolutely certain but I don't think so.
My suggestion would be to copy the .pst file to the new location and then go back into Outlook and add it and set is as default and then remove the old one.
I definitely have a propensity for moving my .pst file(s) the current path to the one I'm using is D:\Users\Randy\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook\Outlook.pst

Seems every time I get a bit creative with Outlook, I break something and then have to go into the Control Panel Mail applet and figure out how to un-break it.

Reaction score
Yes just move the .pst file where you want it and then relocate it in account settings. Make it default again. Works for me in Outlook 2013. I have moved my .ost files to a common location on my D: drive also

Ask a Question