Microsoft solitaire collection

Reaction score
For over a year, after installing Windows 10, I had no problem when used the solitaire app, at least once a day. All of a sudden, recently, the app will not work. I uninstalled the Solitaire app, and then reinstalled it. The Blue page for the Collection appears, sits there, then closes. It simply will not open.

Reaction score
Hello Unhappy,

In windows 10, Microsoft wants you to rent the Games either monthly or Yearly for $10 USD. Yup. I was pretty miffed at MS new tactics.

Check out http://winaero.com/blog/get-windows-7-games-for-windows-10/ I downloaded the games setup from this site. And am so happy with them, I donated $20 USD to the fellow that put them together. :)

That might stick in Microsoft's craw, but I'm not happy with their new software rental direction. I don't want to have to do without a computer in my golden years because I can't afford the yearly software rent.!

Cheers! Allan

Reaction score
MS Office 365 is $365 US/ year from the store.:mad: I think MS have hurt themselves with the deceitful Windows 10 upgrade forceful marketing.

Reaction score
Welcome aboard, UU.

You'll be happy to know that I have good news. There are dozens of good free Solitaire games available. Download another one, and your problem will be solved.

Reaction score
"In windows 10, Microsoft wants you to rent the Games either monthly or Yearly for $10 USD. Yup. I was pretty miffed at MS new tactics. "

That is incorrect. You can play many different card games from Microsoft solitaire collection for free. You pay if you wish to remove the (unobtrusive) advertising.

Reaction score
MS Office 365 is $365 US/ year from the store.:mad: I think MS have hurt themselves with the deceitful Windows 10 upgrade forceful marketing.

??? I have a subscription to MS Office 2016 for 5 machines and it costs a mere $10 CAD a month plus our sales tax. Is your Office 365 different ?

Trouble

Noob Whisperer
Reaction score
Likewise, I just got a first year free offer from Microsoft for Office 365 which I took advantage of and installed on one computer. According to everything I've read, I can go into my office account and disable auto-renewal without issue or just pay the $60 bucks next year

Reaction score
For over a year, after installing Windows 10, I had no problem when used the solitaire app, at least once a day. All of a sudden, recently, the app will not work. I uninstalled the Solitaire app, and then reinstalled it. The Blue page for the Collection appears, sits there, then closes. It simply will not open.
I found advice about importing XP solitaire & freecell to Win 10. And it works just fine, on my wife's Win 7, too.
But, I am hesitant to repeat it, the poster had been banned from whatever group I saw the post in But, the post was still up.

just thought I'd let you know it's out there.

Reaction score
Nels, the games link at winaero works fine on W10 10586-1511 and on the latest Insider build.

Reaction score
Tim, I own Office 10 and it appears to work fine. I don't pay any rent! :) I am wondering how much different Office 2016 is. And like you, I have to gain knowledge of how office 365 compares. . Cheers! allan

Reaction score
Thank you, Tim.
But, I wonder how much advertising and Bloatware comes in the Winaero download.
On my computer, frecell, solitaire, and the dll to make them work, all together are less than 500 KB.

Reaction score
Capture.PNG
I didn't notice any. There are a lot of games in there, not just those three. Winaero WILL try to get you to download other stuff but it is avoidable.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hi Nels,

The winearo download has nothing, no strings attached. That's why I donated to his cause. Nice work, and gives our old games back.

cheers, allan

Ask a Question