Microsoft starts prompting Windows 7 and Windows 8 users to ‘reserve’ their free Windows 10 upgrade

Reaction score
What is that even supposed to mean? If anyone can upgrade within the first year for free, why reserve?

Something smells fishy!

Reaction score
excerpt from the link posted earlier......

Offering users the option to reserve digital copies in advance, which really don’t have to be reserved because they’re digital, will help Microsoft determine how much resources to allocate on the big day as well as how much it still needs to promote the offer.

Reaction score
Reserve for Win 10.jpg

Reaction score
I'm still trying to figure out the update route from a Windows 10 TP install. Will I be required to put my Windows 8.1 drive back in operation and upgrade from it? Will I be able to just update from my Windows 10 installs and maybe use my 8.1 activation codes. Maybe like days of yore when you just inserted the previous OS disk during the install process. I'd like to be ready on the 29th and not get a surprise having to reinstall my 8.1 drive and spend a couple hours going through all the updates that have accumulated in the months since I've been using Windows 10.

Reaction score
Unless they offer a path to upgrade from the TP, you'll probably have to reinstall your Windows 8.1.

Reaction score
I heard there will be an upgrade path from TP. It was in an article also stating that Pirates could upgrade and continue their invalid license with Windows 10.

Reaction score
Just for kicks I put my Win 8.1 drive back in ran all the updates and the reserve your copy icon showed up in the sys tray. Opened it and entered an email address and it's done. I guess I'll do the same on my other computer tomorrow.

Reaction score
It's only popped up on my Windows 8.1 rig. Hasn't popped up on any of my Windows 7 PC's yet.

Reaction score
excerpt from the same link.............
Other requirements, such as how up-to-date your Windows version is, your locale, language, and so on can affect whether you’re asked to reserve your copy. Furthermore, Microsoft is likely rolling these prompts out gradually as opposed to all at once, so sit tight if you’ve tried everything but don’t see it yet.

Reaction score
That's pretty much what I figured. I reserved it for my 8.1 PC, although that ones not important. The only one I want immediately is my tablet. Windows 7 just doesn't cut it as a touch screen OS.

Ask a Question