Miracast not working

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
I have searched through this forum and have seen that a lot of people are having trouble with Miracast. Here's my situation.

I recently got myself a Smart TV and wanted to mirror my desktop display on to it. I'm currently running a Windows 10 64-bit machine with a NVIDIA GeForce GTX 970 graphics card and after some research, I picked up a Windows Display Adapter (P3Q-00016) to plug into my TV.

I can see my Smart TV (Samsung LED 55-in) when I look at the devices menu on my computer

dsuvudS1s.gif

but can't see it when I go to the menu to connect to a wireless monitor.

dsw7CQXD8.gif

When I run DxDiag I got the following message: "Miracast: Not Supported by Graphics driver". (see attached file)

I went and downloaded the latest graphics drivers from NVIDIA – no dice.

I did some Googling and found that people have been able to get things to work with the "Maxwell" GTX cards (and considering mine is), I was rather confused as to why things weren't working.

I contacted NVIDIA chat and was told that NVIDIA graphics cards don't support Miracast. After more research, I found that the release notes for version 304 of the drivers mentioned Miracast support. So I went back to NVIDIA chat and was told that the drivers would support Miracast if the motherboard supported it. I have an ASROCK H170M Pro4 but after doing some Google searches I still don't know if it will support Miracast, or even if the motherboard is the problem!

NVIDIA suggested I get a Miracast dongle for the computer in addition to my Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter but I don't want to throw good money after bad if I don't have to.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Kat

Attachments

• DxDiag.txt
    65.2 KB · Views: 836
Reaction score
When you installed the Miracast Adapter, did you name it [TV] Samsung LED 55in? Or, because it's a Smart TV, is the name from the manufacturer.

To use the Miracast Adapter, you plugged it into an HDMI port on your TV. You have to switch the TV to display from that input. It will cause the Display Adapter to power up and it will appear in devices as the Microsoft Display Adapter. Once your TV is displaying the adapter screen, you can try to connect to it.

By the way, you should install the Display Adapter App from the Windows Store. It will allow you to rename your adapter and install any firmware updates for the adapter.

Here's a video on it.

Reaction score
Hi OGG, thanks for your response!
The Smart TV is the name from the manufacturer.
I have plugged in the adapter like this:

Miracast_HDMI_cable.jpg

and when I turn the screen to the appropriate HDMI channel I get this:
Miracast_adapter_TV_screen.jpg

which seems to be what needs to happen.

Unfortunately when I go to "Project" - I get this:

miracast_project.gif

So it's not detecting the TV.

I downloaded the app for the adapter but it isn't letting me into the settings or anything like that.

miracast_app.gif

Do you think the adapter is too far away from the PC? I'm working off a desktop machine which means I can't really move it closer.

Thanks,
Kat

Reaction score
Try using 'Connect' instead of 'Project'.

You can't change the settings until you successfully connect to the device.

Reaction score
The following is a quote from a Microsoft site explaining requirements for Win 10.

Miracast requires a display adapter which supports Windows Display Driver Model (WDDM) 1.3, and a Wi-Fi adapter that supports Wi-Fi Direct.

I have never understood the Miracast situation, but my Dell, which has the Intel Video and a compatible Wi-Fi adapter, do WiDi to a Netgear PTV3000. I have never gotten any of my Nvidia equipped systems to work.

I can play a video on my Sony smart TV if I select the video and choose "Cast". That does not duplicate the display from the computer, of course.

The following link seems to be a good article explaining Miracast but basically says it is not very useful. The Samsung version is called "AllShare Cast" according to that article.

http://www.howtogeek.com/177145/wir...ed-airplay-miracast-widi-chromecast-and-dlna/

Last edited:
Reaction score
Connect doesn't work unfortunately.
I've tried using the Samsung Smart View app and that does work in terms of showing video and images when I drag them into the program. Of course, that isn't mirroring.

According to this: https://www.windows10forums.com/threads/how-to-get-pc-to-support-miracast.6753/
I can try using an Intel Desktop Wireless Adapter-AC-7260 to get it to work but I really don't want to mess around with hardware.

A friend of mine has a Chromecast dongle so I think I'll try that out and if it works, sell the Windows one if I can (since the shop I bought it from doesn't allow returns unless the item is faulty).

What do you guys think?

Reaction score
Hi, I used to be able to connect and stream/project media from my pc to my tv, but after the last 2 updates I get the annoying "your pc does not support miracast". I am operating a Windows 10 pro v.1703 64 bit and my GPU is an AMD Radeon R9 380. I have no idea why I was able to use miracast and after the updates it became impossible :(

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem as Elfielf - I had no problems using miracast with the TV in our conference room and then all of a sudden I get the message that my pc doesn't support it. Between the time that it worked and it didn't it looks like I've had two updates:
Intel Corporation - Display - 4/21/2017 12:00:00 AM - 21.20.16.4664
Microsoft .NET Framework 4.7 for Windows 10 Version 1607 and Windows Server 2016 for x64 (KB3186568)
Could one of these be the culprit?

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem as Elfielf
The OP kept saying something like he could not detect the TV. On my system, I use the Wireless Display adapter as an HDMI input. I connect to it with the computer and select that input on the TV.

If you TV is Miracast capable, it may indicate that on the paperwork or some logo on the TV. My Sony TV has wireless but I cannot connect directly to that for Computer display. I can see the TV in my networking but cannot connect that way either.

Ask a Question