Missing file?

Reaction score
I just purchased a new WD external hard drive for backing up my computer. After running system image and Windows backup I had an error message stating that a file could not be found. The file location was windows/system32/config/systemprofile/documents and the error said the "documents" file could not be found. When I follow the links and open "systemprofile" I find only the file "AppData" but no file entitled "documents". Is this an error that can be easily fixed? If the file is in fact actually missing how can I replace it or can it be replaced? I'm not a computer whiz so please try and keep any responses in plain English so I can try and follow. Thanks.

Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue, system image worked fine. However if I (user) did a Windows backup and selected the default setting "Let Windows Choose" what to back up, it backs up all of the libraries Administrator and all users. When the backup completed I had an error message, I don't recall the exact wording, it was something like
C:\Administrator|\Documents..file could not be found.
I checked the hidden and local administrator Documents.and there are no files in either of the document libraries. I found 2 optional alternatives that work for me.
1: Create images and backups using an Admin account.
2: When creating a (user Zeiherg) back up; open Control Panel > "Back up and Restore (Windows 7) > Change Settings > Select Backup Destination xxx > What do you want to backup > select "Let me choose" > Next.
Deselect New users, Adminstrator and User Libraries, click on and expand Computer, scroll down to "Users" click and expand "Users" > Select "zeiherg" and check off what user files you want to be backed up, click Next and your on your way.

Reaction score
I had exactly the same issue, system image worked fine. However if I (user) did a Windows backup and selected the default setting "Let Windows Choose" what to back up, it backs up all of the libraries Administrator and all users. When the backup completed I had an error message, I don't recall the exact wording, it was something like
C:\Administrator|\Documents..file could not be found.
I checked the hidden and local administrator Documents.and there are no files in either of the document libraries. I found 2 optional alternatives that work for me.
1: Create images and backups using an Admin account.
2: When creating a (user Zeiherg) back up; open Control Panel > "Back up and Restore (Windows 7) > Change Settings > Select Backup Destination xxx > What do you want to backup > select "Let me choose" > Next.
Deselect New users, Adminstrator and User Libraries, click on and expand Computer, scroll down to "Users" click and expand "Users" > Select "zeiherg" and check off what user files you want to be backed up, click Next and your on your way.

Reaction score
Norton,

I followed your post and went with option 2 but got a little hung up toward the end. I believe that was mostly due to my being unfamiliar with a lot of what you were saying. Anyway, I did a little trial and error in that I only wanted to ensure I was in the correct locations before actually doing anything and it seemed to have worked OK. I did find the links that you had mentioned and followed your advice and it did the trick. I did another Windows back-up but didn't get any errors. Thanks for your help.

Reaction score
That's good to hear. It's scary when you see error messages when doing backups. Thanks for your reply.

Ask a Question