Missing Login prompt on windows 10 boot.

Reaction score
Hi, I have been searching for the web for about a week with no good results. It seems that I am the first to get this specific issue this way OR that I am just really bad at searching :(

Either way I need your help !

Here is the issue: I boot my laptop and get to the login screen, I know I get there as the hour is displayed on the bottom left of the screen and 3 basic options on the bottom right. The entire prompt for login with the logo and the background are missing.
I attached a picture of my laptop with the issue hopefully it helps.

More info:
I think the cause could be 3 things but im probably wrong.
- This is a refurbished laptop , something might have went wrong.
- I am using the High contrasts themes on windows 10, it seems to cause issues..
- I was having issues with detecting my external microphone when using the software audacity.

Things I tried:
- I tried pressing the thinkpad button to get some usefull options but it did not work.
- I attempted a auto repair by holding the power button to shutdown on boot 4 times in row then navigating menus to reach this option. (result was it failed the repair or nothing changed)
- I did try to enter my password while the prompt was missing with no good result.
- I did try to wait an hour for the prompt to appear but this is most likely not is as I get a loading screen of less then 1 second then this is fully loaded.

I did NOT try to use safe mode yet as I have no clue what I am looking for except for changing the theme.

I dont have the dxdiag of the laptop but It is a official windows 10 version, its a lenovo thinkpad and its been used for about 40 hours total so its pretty new even though its refurbished as mentioned earlyer.

If there are more informations that you need and think I might have please let me know. The same thing goes if you have the solution. I need this pc for work :(

Thanks guys !

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    858 KB · Views: 464
Reaction score
Hold down the shift key and restart the computer. This should give you the options to troubleshoot or reboot into safe mode. Try the troubleshoot first.

Ask a Question