MMCSS not starting

Reaction score
Greetings,

I just spotted that my multimedia class scheduler service generated errors in my event log.

The MMCSS service failed to start due to the following error:
The server is currently disabled.

Event ID:7000

MMCSS does not appear in my services list either.
Trying to start it manually through a CMD prompt results in the same error: The server is currently disabled.

The file is present in %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\mmcss.sys
And the registry key HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\MMCSS states the service is set to automatic.

Please help.

Thank you.

Regedit32

Reaction score
This Multimedia Class Scheduler (MMCSS) is a Kernel driver that starts when you boot your computer. If it fails to start when you boot your computer you'll get an Error logged in the Event Viewer console.

It's possible the mmcss.sys file has somehow become corrupted, I which case running a System File Check from an elevated command prompt would likely resolve the issue.
  • Type cmd into the Cortana search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • When prompted by the User Account Control click Yes
  • At the C:\Windows\System32> prompt type sfc /scannow then press Enter key

Once you've done that you can monitor the situation to see whether things stabilize. If they do not, then you can reconfigure this in an elevated command prompt by doing the following:

• Type cmd into the Cortana search field, then press Ctrl + Shift + Enter keys together
  • When prompted by the User Account Control click Yes
  • At the C:\Windows\System32> prompt type sc config MMCSS start=auto then press Enter key

You could alternately, start the service by typing sc start MMCSS and press Enter key. The config command though, is a permanent setting to ensure the Kernel driver automatically starts when you boot your computer.

Regards,

Regedit32

Reaction score
Greetings,

The sfc/scannow didn't return any errors.

The driver is already set to start automatically within the registry (start=0x00000002)

Using the sc start command returns the same error:

[SC] StartService FAILED 1341:
The server is currently disabled.

Regedit32

Reaction score
So apart from noting an event log, are you experiencing any actual issue with your OS?

Ask a Question